banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duncan Performer Detonator ... the secret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Performer Detonator ... the secret?

Hi people, just wanted to ask how is the Detonator? How is it tone wise? How is the output?

Are the Duncan Performers and Duncan Designed made in the same factory? Does anyone know any insights about this?

Is it true that it has an invader feature on the outside and in the inside it has the Duncan distortion features?

Thanks! and cheers!!

Re: Duncan Performer Detonator ... the secret?

AFAIK, Duncan performers are imports, same with duncan designed. They contract an overseas factory to make 'em for them.

Duncan designed/duncan performers can be good pickups...I had one in a seven string that was pretty nice, based off of the jazz model.

I dunno anything bout the detonator though, I can only imagine that it's a high-output beast.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's just an invader but made overseas.
      Danny Jenkins
      Metal Official Band Page - Facebook
      motiongraphics.com.au

Comment

I have a Detonator although not currently in a guitar. Duncan Designed and Duncan Performer are the same pickup made overseas to Seymour Duncan specifications. The Detonator is based on the Invader although the Invader has 3 magnets, 2 of them small, and the Detonator has one large ceramic magnet. Output is very high with mine measuring at 16.4k DC resistance. About the same as an Invader. To me, it has no features of the Duncan Distortion but is very close to an Invader in both looks and tone. Musicians Friend has Duncan Performer "Buckshot" that is much more like a Distortion. Overall, the Invader is a better pickup but the Detonator is a good value at less than half the price if that type of tone is what you are looking for.

Comment

Pretty much what everyone has said is true. The Duncan Performer Detonator (available exclusively through GC and MF) and the Duncan Designed Detonator (available on some import Jacksons and others) are the same pickup. They're both built in Korea in the same factory. One is sold over-the-counter and the other is sold OEM.

The pickup is based on the Duncan Distortion Trembucker. High output. One ceramic magnet.

However, it has the large head, cap screw, pole pieces, like a (USA-made) Seymour Duncan Invader.

Tone-wise, it's probably closer to a Duncan Distortion. Looks-wise, it's closer to an Invader.

I hope that helps.
          Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
          Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp
            Pretty much what everyone has said is true. The Duncan Performer Detonator (available exclusively through GC and MF) and the Duncan Designed Detonator (available on some import Jacksons and others) are the same pickup. They're both built in Korea in the same factory. One is sold over-the-counter and the other is sold OEM.

The pickup is based on the Duncan Distortion Trembucker. High output. One ceramic magnet.

However, it has the large head, cap screw, pole pieces, like a (USA-made) Seymour Duncan Invader.

Tone-wise, it's probably closer to a Duncan Distortion. Looks-wise, it's closer to an Invader.

I hope that helps.

That's a mind blower! It seems to me much more like an Invader tone than it does my SH-6 tone. I thought the HB-103 was much closer to a DD tone. Does that mean that both the HB-108 and HB-103 are based on the SH-6? I'm cornfused.

Comment

Originally posted by panamang
              Does that mean that both the HB-108 and HB-103 are based on the SH-6? I'm cornfused.
              Yup.
              Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
              Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

It definitely doesn't even compare to the Invader when it comes to the bass department, it really does sound quite a bit different.

Comment

when I inquired to seymour duncan about this, they told me that the Performer and the Designed are not the same. the performer is a lower grade...

thats only what I was told by matt at duncan..
                  hope that either helps or REALLY messes things up
                  Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky
                  ]

Comment

Originally posted by pineyhillsmusic
                    when I inquired to seymour duncan about this, they told me that the Performer and the Designed are not the same. the performer is a lower grade...

thats only what I was told by matt at duncan..
                    hope that either helps or REALLY messes things up
                    I'm not sure who Matt is, but I bet Evan outranks him Listen to Evan.

BTW, my experience with the Detonator supports what Evan said, about it looking like an Invader, and sounding more like a Distortion.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

The performer series is just the Duncan Designed pickups packaged for retail, whereas the Duncan Designed are OEM on stock import guitars. They are the same pickups and are made in the same place (I'm pretty sure). The Detonator is an import copy of the Invader. I'd just buy the Invader myself.

Comment

WOW kool cheers for the replies everyone!!!!! It looks like the Detonator is a Hardcore pickup on it's own!! .... MUST GET ONE .....

By the way what type of guitar body wood suits the Detonator?

Comment

The Detontor and the Invader do not sound the same.

I really like he Detonator, Fender used it in the Squier Delonge model.
                          My Bands -
                          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage
                            The Detontor and the Invader do not sound the same.
                            And it doesn't sound like a real Duncan Distortion either.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp

I hope that helps.
                              Hi Evan thanks for the in depth scope the Detonator sounds like a custom shop pickup ehehe ... ... also i wanted to ask what type of guitar body wood suits the Detonator? or ... maybe the Invader?

Comment

Working...
                              X