banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duncan Performer Detonator ... the secret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duncan Performer Detonator ... the secret?

Duncan Designed pickups and Duncan Performer pickups are genuine Duncans, I can assure you. They're just not built in the same Santa Barbara factory that makes Seymour Duncan, Basslines, Antiquity, and Benedetto pickups.

Furthermore, you can put Duncan Designed pickups up against many (non-Seymour Duncan) USA-made pickups and the Duncan Designed pickups will come out on top. The humbuckers largely use Alnico magnets, polycarbonate bobbins, high-quality hookup cable. The single-coils uses Alnico pole piece magnets. The active HB-105 humbuckers use balanced inputs going into a differential preamp and will reduce noise and hum more effectively than other (non-Seymour Duncan) USA-made active pickups.

Yes, they're made in Korea. But that doesn't necessarily mean they are anything less than genuine Duncans. They're just not "Seymour Duncans."
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski View Post
      ^That would have been a useful post about 4 years ago
      excellent name change.

Comment

i've not yet played any of the humbuckers but the soapbars in my squier were beasts.

i'm thinking of shielding the pickguard and cavities and putting ceramic mags in the bridge and A2s in the neck, it's just way more time-consuming than putting humbuckers in my other scratchplate ; ]

after reading this thread, i'm also trawling ebay for a duncan designed/performer invader to put smaller allens in/make hybrids with/swap an A2 into...

Comment

I recently read that the Duncan Designed HB-108 Detonator (though looking identical to an SD Invader, save the logo) has exactly the same magnets, poles and wiring as the SD SH-6 Distortion! It certainly sounds more like the Distortion than the Invader. Now, I know for a fact that the DD HB-103 is based on the SD SH-6 so am surprised that this Detonator is also virtually identical (under the hood so to speak) save the BIG screw tops on the poles! I do love the sound of it though and I'm just putting mine in my Epiphone Firebird Studio (Custom Shop Ltd Ed)

Here's a link showing that the DD HB-108 Detonator has the same innards as the SD SH-6; LINK
          Last edited by Concrete-Sox; 04-01-2016, 05:47 AM.
          ---------------------------------
          http://christianguitars.co.uk/

Comment

Sound-wise, it is closer to the Distortion. Looks-wise, it is closer to the Invader. It is not wound exactly the same as either.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Sound-wise, it is closer to the Distortion. Looks-wise, it is closer to the Invader. It is not wound exactly the same as either.
              Quote from the link I posted; "Hey guys, this is Scott with Seymour Duncan. The HB-108 is close to the HB-103 with the addition of the cap screw pole pieces. The HB-103 is based on the SH-6..." Without wishing to start an argument, that suggests (to me) that the Detonator is wound to the same spec' as an SH-6...

Comment

I was under the impression that none of the overseas pickups had exactly the same winding as the US counterparts.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I don't get how anyone can say that with certainty when the DD's are made in Korea and the SD's are made in the US. Scott from Seymour Duncan already said the Detonator is virtually the same as the HB-103 (which is based on the SD SH-6 Distortion). That to me says it's wound the same without him actually stating that fact. Anyway, that's not important to me. The Detonator is now in my Epi Firebird Studio and it sounds great

Comment

The fact that you think it sounds great in your guitar is the only thing that matters.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like Distortion. A little thicker, a little less scream. All awesome.

Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The HB-108 is "close to" the HB-103.
                        The HB-103 is "based on" the SH-6.

The stats on the SH-6 and SH-8 (ohm resistance and mV output) are very similar, but their tone is WAY different. The Invader has way more bass and much less treble than the Distortion. The Invader is a very heavy sounding pup.

To my ears the Detonator sounds like the Invader and not even close to the Distortion.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I know this is a old thread, but it's good reading and interesting.

I got a new set of Detonators around 6 months ago on Reverb and it's one of my all time favorite sets. I haven't seen another set of them new for sell since. If you come across new Detonators please let me know asap. Thanks!

Comment

To my ears the Detonator sounds like an Invader with a pinch less thickness, which leaves the treble a little more present, or more "perceived" I guess.
                            It's definitely my favorite out of the Duncan-designed line. Great pickups in their own right.

Comment

Try coil tapping em, also surprisingly good
                              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                                Try coil tapping em, also surprisingly good
                                Yes, that's the way I have them wired. Really nice. Click image for larger version  Name:	20210403_044844.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.7 KB ID:	6070099

Comment

Working...
                                X