banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally installed the Custom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally installed the Custom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys,

My old Dean Evo which is similar in design to a PRS Singlecut had the C-5 for quite a while. I always sensed something was missing so out it came. I then installed the C-5 into my LP.......sounded great and open/clear.....but some meat and thickness was missing. The Rio Grande BBQ is now in the LP.

Tonight I decided to install the Custom into my Dean with the 59 in the neck.
    So far, so good! I hear none of the harshness I hear as being associated with ceramic magnets. I am getting great, great clean tones, thick and powerful rhythm tones, and thick 'n juicy lead tones. I think I like it better than the JB. I am still struggling with the height. I am used to having the bridge pup at about 1/16" and with the Custom....that seems too close and too muddy.

Can you guys recommend a good height for the Custom??

I have 500k Dimarzio pots, and .047 caps and am going to be ordering some .022 caps from Lew. Maybe that will help clear things up and kill some darkness.

This guitar is really turning into a nice work horse! $439 for a Korean Dean Evo. I then had the following installed:

Sperzel locking tuners
    Schaller roller bridge
    Graphtec nut
    Dimarzio 500k pots
    Duncan Custom and 59.

I installed the pickups myself but hope to have my tech look it over along with a set-up and fret dressing. I also am hoping to order a Tone Pros locking bridge/tailpiece assembly.

Anyway.......thanks to everyone who recommended the Cusotm even though I thought it would be harsh. In fact, it is thick, rich, and warm.

So....any thoughts on height? My C-5 was at 1/16" as is my Rio BBQ...believe it or not.

Thanks.
    Last edited by papersoul; 06-07-2004, 12:11 PM.

Re: Finally installed the Custom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by papersoul

Can you guys recommend a good height for the Custom??

When I adjust my pickups, I just keep tweaking until it sounds right at different volume levels. I know there are standard specs you can go by to at least start from, but 1/16" for the bridge pup sounds like a good starting place. Experiment around with it a little, you'll find it.
    Gald to hear you like that Custom! I think it's a great pickup, too.

Comment

.046uf is just too much for that pup, IMO. A .022uf cap will work fine....I just put a .015uf Orange Drop on my LP's Custom and it sounds pretty nice.
      FWIW.

-Bob

Comment

If you want the more 'modern' LP tone control slope, use .022 caps. For the more sensitive 'historic' tone control slope, use .015 caps.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Hey Dystrust... When I read your reply today I had Moe's voice in mind... weird...

Comment

Possstttttttttttttttt Someeeeeeeeeeeeeee Clipsssssssssss
            With Full Distortion, Of Course
            Ahahahaha
            Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
            Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
            Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
            Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
            Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
            Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
            Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
            Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by midnite_man
              .046uf is just too much for that pup, IMO. A .022uf cap will work fine....I just put a .015uf Orange Drop on my LP's Custom and it sounds pretty nice.
              FWIW.

-Bob
              Thanks, I am going to order some .022 caps when I have time. Am I okay leaving the 500k Dimarzio pots?

Thanks.

Comment

I am going to also grab a JB but I remember finding I like the Rio BBQ better than the JB so maybe I'll just try thye EMG 85 next.

What do you guys think of the Custom for clean? Sounds good to me and I have the 59 in the neck!

I remember gearjoneser mentioning the Alnico V magnet is considered the "musical magnet" because of it's ability to naturally reproduce the tone of the guitar, while sending a well balanced signal to your amp. - This is to quote Gear exactly.

For this reason, would the Custom tend to sound the same in most guitars?

Anyone have suggestions for the neck? I have the 59 but have heard great things about the Jazz!
                Last edited by papersoul; 06-07-2004, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Paper, I believe Gear was trying to say that the "Custom" reproduces the tone of the guitar that it is in. So the tone of a Les Paul will be different than a tone of a Strat, etc. Different woods resonate differently. One of my Gibson Historics ( all mahogany) sounds INCREDIBLE with the Custom 5, while my Standard LP's sound better with either the Custom 5 or a JB in the bridge. I have noticed on this board and on the Les Paul Forum, that you have been on a very long tone quest. If you insist on buying the EMG's , go ahead, but I have a sneaking suspicion that you will wind up with a Custom (1 of the 3) or a JB in the bridge, and a Jazz or 59' in the neck.

There is no MAGIC answer, tone has alot to do with how you play, pick attack, etc. We had suggested before, over on the LPF, that you should allow your hands and amp to do most of the work. Maybe you should install a pair of good ol' Duncans of your closest liking, and play and tweak the pickups until you reach tonal NIRVANA.......

Comment

Originally posted by OUTLAW1969
                    Paper, I believe Gear was trying to say that the "Custom" reproduces the tone of the guitar that it is in. So the tone of a Les Paul will be different than a tone of a Strat, etc. Different woods resonate differently. One of my Gibson Historics ( all mahogany) sounds INCREDIBLE with the Custom 5, while my Standard LP's sound better with either the Custom 5 or a JB in the bridge. I have noticed on this board and on the Les Paul Forum, that you have been on a very long tone quest. If you insist on buying the EMG's , go ahead, but I have a sneaking suspicion that you will wind up with a Custom (1 of the 3) or a JB in the bridge, and a Jazz or 59' in the neck.

There is no MAGIC answer, tone has alot to do with how you play, pick attack, etc. We had suggested before, over on the LPF, that you should allow your hands and amp to do most of the work. Maybe you should install a pair of good ol' Duncans of your closest liking, and play and tweak the pickups until you reach tonal NIRVANA.......
                    Thanks bro! Gear was actually saying that pickups using the Alnico V magnet are the ones that tend to allow the guitar's tone to come through.

I hope you are right and I am closing in on the end of this pickups search. I agree that much has to do with the player and the amp obviously, but the pickups is still a big part of the equation. I notice the change right away when I install a new p'up. I just about have all the Duncans I could want so I'm just going to swap them around. I'll be grabbing a JB and PG soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X