Pickups for an HH Strat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for an HH Strat!

What d'you guys recommend I put on my Strat? Alder body, maple neck, rosewood board, pretty standard I think...

My main influences are Nirvana, Weezer, Alice in Chains, 80's-era punk rock (DK, Bikini Kill, Black Flag, etc.) and Slayer...so I guess I want a pretty diverse sound. I know the guys in Nirvana and AIC use JBs so I'm thinkin that could be a good place to start...

I'm also gonna be using G&L's PTB system which means I'll have a tone knob for bass and one for treble...so if my hypothesis is right, I'll be able to cut those and have a considerably more midrangey-sound, and basically have lots of tone options...

So I dunno, I'm thinkin JB, Super Distortion or one of the Customs in the bridge for distortion riffing, with probably a 59 in the neck for better cleans and such. Any suggestions will be appreciated
    green globe burned black by sunn

Re: Pickups for an HH Strat!

well i have a jb/59 in my strat but i think that my be way to bright for a strat, so either custom/duncan distortion or a distortion/59
    Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
    The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

If you're referring to the G&L wiring for the Legacys with a regular tone control (treble cut) and a bass cut, the Custom 5 works great in the bridge with that setup. With both "tone" controls on 10, the mids are fairly scooped. Then you can start tweaking either, or both, ends of the frequency spectrum to get the tone you want

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for the neck based on real experience - people seem to like the '59 and the PG as neck pups to go with a C-5.

Chip

Chip
      Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
      Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
      Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
      SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
      SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
      "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

I've got a HH strat with a CC/APH in it. I won't ever remove that combo. I had a PG in the neck which is also really nice, I just like the APH better. If you want a little more edge in the bridge, either a 59 or a C5 would be great. I generally like A2's in strats though.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

hey by the way, weezer uses a full shred
          Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
          The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

heh, everything I read about Weezer's (more specifically, Rivers Cuomo's) Warmoth strats said they used 59/Super Distortion...
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I have two Strats, one with a JB, and one with a Super Distortion, and both get me most of the sounds your looking for. The Super Distortortion is a little more 80's sounding, while the JB is more 90's sounding.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

If you want an almost completely balanced agressive sound, I really suggest trying out the Custom.
                The JB might get too bright for your liking, so I'm not sure if that's a very good choice. A CC might work for a very midranged sound, it's got a little bit of vintage vibe on it which I totally liked when I first played it, and I'm a guy who doesn't always appreciate the vintage sound . It's kinda JB-ish, but with more bass, less treble and equal bass. I don't think you'll miss anything in that pick up. The '59 is an excellent choice by the way, very versatile and sounds awesome clean. I played the CC/'59 combo about a week or two ago, and it sounded pretty cool. You should be able to pull off anything from Heavy Rock to some jazzy tunes
                Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
                Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
                Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
                Marshall 2x12 Vintage
                Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

Working...
                X