Question for those who've used an A2 or A3 in a '59 or JB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for those who've used an A2 or A3 in a '59 or JB

I've got a '59 and JB in my SG, and while they're both good sounding pickups, they're not really what I'm going for. I could sell them, but I figured that I might be able to modify them by changing the magnets to get a tone more to my liking.

Anyway, here's what I don't like currently about the pickups and what I hope to change:

'59: When played clean it's very crisp and bright and has great bass response
    but it's pretty scooped. In replacing the magnet, I'd hope to increase the mids, tame the highs a bit but keep all it's clarity. I figure that since the C-5 has been likened to a hotter '59, then replacing the magnet with an A2 might make the '59 sound a bit like a lower output CC, which would be great.

JB: Not enough bass and low-mid response. The clarity and crunchy mids are great for certain kinds of stuff, but it's not versatile enough and sounds a bit weak (despite it's high output), lacking the "oomph" that good lows and mids give a pickup. I'd hope to keep the JB's crunch and clarity in replacing the magnet, but take away some of the ridiculous highs and add more ballsey bass/mids with some punch to it.

If anyone's tried changing the magnets in these pickups, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could share some results and reccomend whether I should just get a different pickup or whether magnet swapping is something that could benefit me.

Re: Question for those who've used an A2 or A3 in a '59 or JB

I've got the same setup in my guitar and I really like the clean tone when the '59 and JB are switched in series. I get the round, woody '59 tone with the JB sparkle, perfect!
    As for magnet swapping I have only tried a ceramic magnet in the '59 and I can't decide wether I like the ceramic or A5 better. Right now I have an A5 back in there and stuck 2 ceramics on the bottom plate. Not shure if it changes the tone or anything but I like to believe it's a tad hotter now.

Magnets aren't expensive so I'd suggest trying out different magnets and see what you like. Just be carefull not to break the pickups wires.

Btw. I should add that I have wired a 250K vol. pot to my JB and I like it. Great to tame some of the brightness. Also not expensive to try out.

Comment

I actually have 250k pots (and .04 cap) with my JB, still too bright and not enough balls. I'm thinking I'm just gonna buy 2 A2's and 2 A3's and try each out.

Comment

I like A2 in both of those pups. A JB with an A2 becomes a completely different pickup. It sounds much more like a hot-rodded PAF, with much more roundness and warmth (just sounds like muddy crap in the neck). You'll get your low-mids.

A2 59 is smoother, has a lower-output "feel". The highs are plenty clear still but also become very chimy and sweet. The boominess in the bass is history, and you get plenty of warmth.
        Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
        Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
        Originally posted by Sosomething
        "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

That's all I needed to push me over the edge, just one good review, thanks, if I sound muddy, I'm blaming you.

Comment

Originally posted by wasteofo2
            That's all I needed to push me over the edge, just one good review, thanks, if I sound muddy, I'm blaming you.
            Magnets are a great investment though, I love 'em. $10 and you can make any of your humbuckers sound like a different pickup. The JB with a ceramic aint bad either by the way. Many have suggested that this is essentially a Duncan Distortion...
            Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.

Comment

A2 59 is smoother, has a lower-output "feel". The highs are plenty clear still but also become very chimy and sweet. The boominess in the bass is history, and you get plenty of warmth.[/QUOTE]

this may be a dumb question but here goes: isn't an alnico pro II basically a '59 with an alnico 2 magnet? please excuse my ignorance.

Comment

this may be a dumb question but here goes: isn't an alnico pro II basically a '59 with an alnico 2 magnet? please excuse my ignorance.
                I was thinking that a 59 with an A2 was basically a potted Seth.
                This machine kills fascists

Comment

The closest pup to an A2 59 is actually the Pearly Gates. But they're not the same. The PG has those neato staggered winds.:thumbsup:

Comment

To me, they sound nothing alike. The Pearly Gates is brighter than an A2 '59, and it has that spike in the upper mids. I have an A3 '59 in the bridge of my Wolfgang, and it doesn't sound nearly as bright as a Pearly Gates.

Ryan
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Wouldn't an A2 magnet make the JB too loose on the bottom? I believe that an A2 has a much softer response than an A5. Oh well I guess the only way to be shure is to try it.

Comment

I had a JB w/ AII mag in my old Epiphone Sheraton. It really made a big difference, but I'm not sure that it will give you exactly what you are looking for. It really knocked off the "ice pick" top end, and made the pickup quite a bit smoother. It added some mid-warmth as well, but it didn't do much at all to help the bottom end. Since the guitar I had it in was a big semi-hollow guitar, I had plenty of bottom to begin with, and this wasn't a big problem, but if you have a guitar that is a bit thin sounding to begin with, I am not sure that you will be happy with it.
                        Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

To me an A2 in a JB loses some of the real sharp focus the pup has. Smoothed out the real highs brought out more smooth upper mids and had a little looser bottom, it didn't cut as well though but overall not bad at all. If you're searching for tone it is a good experiment anyway and you can always go back to stock.
                          My Bands -
                          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                          X