banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What wire should I use between the switch and the control cavity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What wire should I use between the switch and the control cavity?

I am wiring a les paul with a 3 way switch. I requires 4 wires from the switch to the contol cavity. What wire should I use? (I don't think 4 individual pieces of cloth wire will fit through the holes.)

Re: What wire should I use between the switch and the control cavity?

Just basic Radio Shack 24 gauge, stranded speaker wire should work great.
    If you're talking about maintaining a "vintage" look - then someone else will answer.

Comment

The absolute best wire I've ever used is the pre-bonded hookup wire from Small Bear Electronics...www.smallbearelec.com.

Ryan
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I just went and looked at that wire - $5.00 for 50 ft. is a pretty reasonable price.
        I'll have to check this out.

Comment

Frankly, I would think that some shielded 4-conductor wire from Radio Shack would be better than 4 un-shielded strands. Just my humble opinion, though.

If you go that route, make sure that you only ground one end of the shielding.

Chip
          Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
          Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
          Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
          SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
          SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
          "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Start
            Frankly, I would think that some shielded 4-conductor wire from Radio Shack would be better than 4 un-shielded strands. Just my humble opinion, though.

If you go that route, make sure that you only ground one end of the shielding.

Chip
            You can pick it up cheaper through some of the other suppliers, plus maybe it's just a regional thing, but RS has gone totally consumer electronics ... so so shops don't even stock that stuff ... shheeeshh!
            I liked the story I heard about the guy that went into RS and asked about something or other, and the sales guy responded by saying ... oh, I don't know anything about electronics ... apparently sales clerks are just fine at selling prepaid track phones, cd players, pagers, and cell phones ... but couldn't tell ya what 50ohm coaxial is for, and what 75ohm coaxial is for ... ....
            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Also, there's really no point in using shielded wire within the confines of a guitar. A few inches of wire, laying between two giant RF antennas, isn't going to make a difference, which is why no guitars use it.

Comment

Working...
              X