Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good PU choice for 50's upgrade

Hello,

Just found this board - nice place. I am hoping for some advice. I have a Fender 50's Classic Tele MIM (BTW - this is a sweet guitar for $600). I like it alot but the PUs are a bit thin for my taste in the lead department. I play alot of blues and rock (think Led Zep, Stones etc). I mostly play with the PU switch in the middle position and generally like that sound for rhythm playing but there is no where to go for more growl on leads (bridge is too harsh). Anyway I was looking for some ideas on new PUs. The Quarter Pounders sound really good on the SD site but what about some others. I don't want to loose the Tele sound and I am concerned about too much hum. I have an LP that I reach for when I want that HB sound so I'm looking for single coils in the traditional Tele sense. Any ideas are appreciated!!!

Thanks -Bob

Re: Good PU choice for 50's upgrade

The Broadcaster is great for classic Rock n' Roll Tele that isn't too hot, but is fatter than stock.

Harmonic Design Vintage Plus or Super 90 are good if you want something smoother. These have higher output, so might need a new neck pickup too.

I might get (Strat) QP pretty soon, so I'll tell you what I think.

Comment

Hi bgood; welcome to the forum.

Definitely read this thread - all of it.

The Ultimate Tele - Tone.

Comment

Thanks for the input - checking out that thread now. I just spent about an hour playing the tele with a couple amps and my guitar port. I gotta have new PUPs. Maybe a new amp too :-) The Blues JR is chimey on the middle position but I can't find a sweet spot with any other pickup config that's not mushy or skull cracking. I've been playing this open mic through the house guitarists DeVille lately and the guitar sounds great on the mid position through that too. Thanks again.

Comment

The Tele mid position does a nice job of balancing the relative strengths and weaknesses of the traditional Tele neck and bridge pickups. I like the SD Jerry Donahue and Fender Nocaster pickups at the bridge, and the Nocaster at the neck for a traditional Tele tone. The SD firebird-style mini-humbuckers work well with traditional Tele lead pickups, and provide more oomph than typical Tele neck pickups while retaining certain single coil traits. The Phat Cat neck pickup sounds great in a Tele, too, but you need a strong bridge pickup like the Jerry Donahue to keep up with it. None of these options will sound like a Les Paul with HBs. Happy hunting!

Comment

Working...
          X