banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you test a pot to see if it is good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you test a pot to see if it is good?

What would the symptoms of an overheated pot be??

Mine functions more like an on/off knob!!!
    When i turn down to "8" the volume goes totally bye bye !!!

How do I tell if it is bad or if my problem lies else where???

Re: How do you test a pot to see if it is good?

Do you have access to a multimeter?

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Here's another thought, I know that in some cases its desirable to maintain a certain degree of anonymity on-line, but you may want to post your city and state.

It'ld just be a shame to beat yourself over the head like this, and then find out you just live down the street from a forum member who could help out.

Comment

Like me? (no.)
        Originally posted by The Minstrel
        Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

if you have a multimeter, set it to the Kiliohms "spot" and probe the two outer lugs. You should get a reading of close to either 250k or 500k, depending on your pot.
          This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
            if you have a multimeter, set it to the Kiliohms "spot" and probe the two outer lugs. You should get a reading of close to either 250k or 500k, depending on your pot.
            correct me if i'm mistaken, but i'm pretty sure that's just to find out the resistance of the pot. some common symptoms of an overheated pot are ground problems or the pot ceases to function at all. i dont think theres a good way to check for a dead pot, besides using substitution (in this case, get a new pot, try it, they're only $5, very cheap) and if that doesnt work, look for problems elsewere

Comment

Make sure the bong water is nice and clean. Take a giant lung expanding hit. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                Make sure the bong water is nice and clean. Take a giant lung expanding hit. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Hey GJ, is that how ya get in the mood to play some of that " Farm Jazz " ??? LOL !!!! Man, I gotta hear some of that !!! .........
                Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDirt
                  correct me if i'm mistaken, but i'm pretty sure that's just to find out the resistance of the pot. some common symptoms of an overheated pot are ground problems or the pot ceases to function at all. i dont think theres a good way to check for a dead pot, besides using substitution (in this case, get a new pot, try it, they're only $5, very cheap) and if that doesnt work, look for problems elsewere
                  You can do something such as check the resistance throughout the pots rotation looking for dead shorts, and opens, and erradict jumps; also you can see if the pot body has gone conductive with any of the outside contacts through various spots of rotational travel. That's about it, toasted caps can make a tone knob act like a volume knob, and if volumes are wired as variable load voltage dividers and a treble bypass cap is used (kinda a waste with VL wiring) and it's cooked then yeah more oddities. Direct substitution is the best route if suspect though.
                  ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                  ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                  Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by 59paul
                    Hey GJ, is that how ya get in the mood to play some of that " Farm Jazz " ??? LOL !!!! Man, I gotta hear some of that !!! .........
                    no no no, thats how you get phish

Comment

Working...
                    X