Just replaced JB with Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just replaced JB with Custom

I loved everything about the JB in my Les Paul Custom except for this one high-mid frequency peak that I just could not get used to especially when soloing. After talking to someone at Seymour Duncan and visiting this forum regularly I decided to give the Custom a try and it has worked out great. It's a bit more aggressive but it has a much more even frequency response. Just for grins I decided to put the JB in the neck position and I love that as well. Overall, it's the most even PU combination I've ever had in that guitar and so far I'm really happy.

Re: Just replaced JB with Custom

thats great man, lots of people love the JB in the neck including me, the only issue is that dont u feel that the JB's output is too much for the Custom at neck? or is your JB lowered alot in the neck??
    1987 Ibanez RG550: Steve Special, SSL-2, Air Norton
    1999 Jackson PS6T-KE: Crazy 8
    Jackson KVX10: X2N
    1997 Epi Les Paul Slash: Virtual PAF, Hum From Hell
    Early 90's Yamaha RGZ621D: JB, Screamin' Demon
    http://fusionken.blogspot.com
    http://project-jeng.blogspot.com

Comment

do u have any clips man?
      Guitars:
      Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
      Amps:
      Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Comment

i m ken, the output cant go down when u move the pickup to the neck,actually pickups in the neck position naturally have more output then if they were in the bridge position.
        Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
        The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

Fusion, I believe I M Ken is refering to the HEIGHT of the pickup , not the output, being lowered. If you put a bridge pickup in the neck position, you almost always have to lower the pickup further down than if it were in the bridge for it to sound good / right.

Comment

Originally posted by OUTLAW1969
            Fusion, I believe I M Ken is refering to the HEIGHT of the pickup , not the output, being lowered. If you put a bridge pickup in the neck position, you almost always have to lower the pickup further down than if it were in the bridge for it to sound good / right.
            Yep, I think he's referring to the height, too.

Actually, I had a JB/JB setup for awhile and really liked it. Try splitting that JB in the neck...if you like stratty tones, you'll probably like the JB split...I split the one in my HM strat and get very passable single coil tone...not quite as complex, but with a full band it'll do.

I think I'm going to have to try the custom out. So many people are talking about how great it is...I have to admit, I love the JB though...might have trouble beating that one. My full shred bridge competes with the JB for hard rockin'...but the JB covers more styles, overall. I've even used it to play county (groans...)! HEHEHEH!

Farkus
            2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
            1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

The outputs are very similiar. I do have the JB down a bit because it just sounds better with more space than the Custom. My band is about to begin recording our next CD so I'll try to remember to post some clips as the recording progresses.

Comment

I just did the opposite in my LP, swapping the custom for a JB along with a bunch of other mods. I like the EQ of the JB a lot better, single notes sound fat! The custom was thinner and more focused, but the JB gave me a much "thicker" feel with each note. The only drawback is that chords have less definition (I guess it has something to do with the stronger single-note sound, I dunno). Just my observations, I'm sure that it differs based on the player, setup, etc. But I like it. Maybe a C5 would a good middleground between the two...
                "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

Welcome to the forum ratkent; Glad to hear that you found a cool "tone" combo.

I use a Stag Mag in the neck of one guitar. Love it.

Comment

The Custom is great but I actually find solos as thick or more thick than with the JB at least to my ears. I haven't donw a direct comparison so maybe my ears forget! Anyway......I found the C-5 a little thin for solos, but very clear and full for rhythm!!

Comment

yeah i meant lowering the pup height of the JB in neck position, heh, sorry for the confusion guys.
                      1987 Ibanez RG550: Steve Special, SSL-2, Air Norton
                      1999 Jackson PS6T-KE: Crazy 8
                      Jackson KVX10: X2N
                      1997 Epi Les Paul Slash: Virtual PAF, Hum From Hell
                      Early 90's Yamaha RGZ621D: JB, Screamin' Demon
                      http://fusionken.blogspot.com
                      http://project-jeng.blogspot.com

Comment

I would never have thought Custom/JB would work well.. I might have to try that if I dont like my EMG's
                        • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                        • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                        • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                        • G&L Tribute Comanche
                        • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                        • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                        • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Do ya mean custom custom?

Comment

hi,
                            well, my RR1 (Jackson) also came with the TB4. I also found it kinda 'thin' sounding and I replaced it by a custom as well and, what a difference!!
                            Fuller, more gain and output (IMHO!). I'm not an expert in pups but it's a huge difference. I like it a lot.
                            I've put the TB4 in my ESP in combination with a '59 and this is a great all-round combination, but for metal, I prefer the custom

regards
                            When the road gets tough, the tough get roadies

My gear

Comment

Working...
                            X