ceramic in a 59?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceramic in a 59?

I was always intrested in doing that, has anybody experamented with a 59 with a ceramic magnet.
    Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
    The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Re: ceramic in a 59?

sounds intersting im gonna bump this .

My guess is it will sound like a 59 on crack!
    Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

I havent tried this myself but I know a few on the board here have tried it with pretty good results. I believe it did have a downside of losing that nice lush sound of the 59 and gave it a more aggresive tone but sort of a generic sound with the ceramic. I beleive the ceramic 59 was used in the bridge too, so the neck would produce different results.

Comment

thanks fusion1 by the way nice name.
        Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
        The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

Back at ya. BTW nice avatar of Mr. Zappa!

Comment

I've done it in the neck and in the bridge. The neck sound gets a little stale, something like a Duncan Distortion without as much output. Muddy? not really...more like, "mellow".

I liked it in the bridge however. It won't really be harsh, what's great is that there are more mids, the cleans are still PAF, it sounds kinda like a Demon with more bass, low mids, more warmth as opposed to super-clear under high gain. Rather nice. It's like a meaner 59. Not a 59 on crack, not a 59 on steroids, just a 59 after a few months of pumping up and getting in shape.
            Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
            Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
            Originally posted by Sosomething
            "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Cool. I was just thinking of swapping the mags in my '59 and Custom. Maybe I'll do it and see what happens .
              Owner:
              Slamo Custom Guitars
              Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish

Comment

I experimented some with a '59n. Also put in a ceramic magnet. Great for if you play with distortion all the time, it becomes more agressive with the ceramic. Fat crunch! But it does take away some off the warmth and (oh no, here it is again!) butteryness. Still sounds good clean though. I guess milkdud said it right with 'stale'.
                What I have now is more satisfying to my ears, I put back in the A5 and sticked 2 ceramic magnets on the bottomplate against the screwends of the polepieces. Gives it slightly more edge and seems to increase the output a little.

Comment

Working...
                X