Bridge pickup for a LP studio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge pickup for a LP studio

My wine red LP studio does not sound right through the JCM2000 DSL210 I am using with my band. I now have a CC in the bridge, and need more highs. After reading the input to my earlier questions, I tried magnet the swap, and did it! Tried it with an alnico 5 magnet. Did not work, the tone changed a lot.

The pearly gates I have sounds not right in this guitar. It was too bright.

I love my Gibson LP 1957 reissue with antiquity humbuckers. But with this guitar, I wanted a rounder tone. CC is too round. I need just a little more edge. Alnico 3 magnet? Fillmores? ???

Last edited by Mr. Loud; 03-19-2004, 04:14 PM.
    Guitars:

1. Gibson 57 Reissue with antiquity humbuckers
    2. Gibson Studio (winered) with Pearly Gates set

Amp:

I. Marshall JCM2000 DSL401

If your Studio has the stock volume pots, those are 300k pots. Put the CC back in and install a pair of 500k long shaft pots into that guitar.

That change will open up your top end and you'll still have the CCs thickness.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion.

I already have allparts' 500k pots. This guitar sounds great through my peavey. And my R7 sounds like a million $'s through the JCM2000 DSL210. But I need this guitar to work with JCM2000 DLS210. I don't know what's going on.

Would love to hear your additional suggestions.
      Guitars:

Amp:

Comment

I have a couple of LPs. One has a 59 set, one has an Antiquity set and the 3rd has the C-5/PGn combo in it.

For warmer/rounder than a PG bridge I might suggest an APH-II bridge pickup. I can't think of anything off the top of my head in a 10-12k wind with an Alnico II magnet off of the production floor. I would think the slightly higher resonant peak of something in that range might do the trick.

Raising the posts on the CC and lowering it in the mount might also help.

You might also try redialing your amp a bit and drawing back the mids a bit to accentuate the top end of that guitar.

Depending on what strings you are using, a set of GHS Boomers might also brighten you up a bit.

jeremy has a 10k Antiquity pickup that he swears by. Shoot him a PM and see what he says about it.

You might also try getting a Screamin Demon and installing an A-II magnet in it.

There's a couple of things you might try.....
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Thank you kind sir.

I have been lurking in the older forum (my ncik was BluesBreaker) because generally unlike you I did not have much things to say. But that way I learnt lots of things from you and others, including the pots/caps, dialing the screw pieces on the CC, and strings. And so, do consider this a thanks to those as well.

I tried but could not dial what I want on the amp. I have it with treble boosted as much as possible. The mids are ok, and I think are at a level where I cannot back them of without getting a thinner tone.

10-12k alnico 2 a little cool Custom Custom is a great idea. A 10K antiquity sounds more intriguing. Looks like I would have to go through the custom shop.
          Last edited by Mr. Loud; 03-20-2004, 03:00 AM.
          Guitars:

Amp:

Comment

Working...
          X