Pickups for homemade axe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for homemade axe

I am working on my first from scratch axe project. The body is a one-piece mahogany, shaped and routed to look like a strat - routed for 3 single coils. (It is NOT a strat!) I am goign with the fender vintage trem and Kulson vintage (locking, if I can find them) tuners. The neck is a custom warmoth - strat shape headstock, maple neck, brazillian rosewood fingerboard, double-truss rod. (I jsut ordered it, so it will be a while before it comes in.)

I went through the wizard on the SD site to help find the pickups.

This is what they came up with:

Bridge 1 SJBJ-1 JB Jr.
    Bridge 2 STK-S2 Hot Stack
    Neck 1 SSL-2 Vintage Flat
    Neck 2 SDBR-1 Duckbuckers
    Middle 1 SSL-1 Vintage Staggered
    Middle 2 SVR-1 Vintage Rails

Listening to the soundbytes, I liked the HotStacks and the Duckbuckers the best. I also liked the Vintage rails.

I was thinking of going wiht the following config:

Bridge: STK_S2 HotStack

for some reason, I feel that the neck and middle should be the same. (However, I am new to all of this, so I don't know a lot about this. But, it somewhow seems to make sense that they should match.)

So - I am torn between either the duckbuckers or the vintage rails for the neck/middle positions.

OR - woudl it be OK to go with the Hotstack, vintage rails, duckbuckers combo?

I do plan on installing a 5-way switch. I can't say I yet have a playing "Style" - but I do like the classic rock with Blues influence (clapton, Stones, etc)

Thoughts/suggestions (other than "LEARN TO PLAY!") are welcome.

THANKS!
    Last edited by haftaski; 06-18-2004, 10:21 PM.
Working...
X