Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed a early 80s JB and a 250k pot

Wow, I really like this pup!

I had one a long time ago but thought it was kind of harsh. Must have been the 500k pot because I think it sounds really smooth now. The best part is that I installed it in my strat which has two Duncan Antiquitys ... I can't believe how much better they sound with the 250k pot!!!

I also split the JB so I can use it in single coil mode. While it sounds good, it doesn't hold a candle to the Antiquitys. The Ants are round and dimensional while the split JB sounds flatter. I have to record some surf tunes this week so It'll fit the bill just fine.

Overall, I'm really happy. It doesn't have the low end of the Distrotion but that's a good thing in my book. My plexi doesn't like a lot of low end because it can sound boaty. Output wise I thought it sounds similar to my Screamin Demon ... maybe a little hotter but still really clear. My Distortion is punchier and louder, but not as sweet. I actually thought the JB would be hotter sounding ... maybe it's the 250k pot.

Re: Installed a early 80s JB and a 250k pot

Maybe the "hot part" of the JB is the upper end which got tamed by the different pot....making it cooler??

I'm going to have to try that sometime. I do love the JB with 500K pots though as well...and I do like the Screamin Demon too although it's much cooler. Actually the Screamin Demon sounds great through my XXX since that amp has so much darn gain to begin with.

Comment

I like the 250K pots myself. Some here don't agree, but I think the JB with 250K pots is the ultimate rock/metal tone...with the right amps of course.

There has been so much talk about the 250 v 500 pot thing that I've decided that when I finish with my board exams, I'm going to intall the JB with a 250 then a 500K pot and record them with the same settings...just to see if there's a big difference...in the past I had tried the JB with 500K once, didn't like it. So, we'll see if there's a difference when they're A/B'd. Heck, maybe while I'm at it, since I have 3 of them laying around, I'll install one in the neck and make some JB/JB clips as people are always asking for them.

Farkus
      2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
      1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Well dang. I just got done playing it a bit and I'm wondering if I have it hooked up right. I noticed that the JB sounds pretty full, but when I split it, the tone changes but not the volume. I wonder if I have it wired for a phase switch instead? I haven't wired something for a split before so I'm not sure what the thing is supposed to sound like.l

Hey Ranalli, I really dug my XXX when I had it!

Comment

I am a fan of JB with 250k in bolt-on neck guitar. It turned my MIM TD strat to a rock machine.
          "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

Originally posted by gnugear
            Well dang. I just got done playing it a bit and I'm wondering if I have it hooked up right. I noticed that the JB sounds pretty full, but when I split it, the tone changes but not the volume. I wonder if I have it wired for a phase switch instead? I haven't wired something for a split before so I'm not sure what the thing is supposed to sound like.l

Hey Ranalli, I really dug my XXX when I had it!
            Key point...does it hum?

If it doesn't, then it isn't split...make sure that you've got some good distortion on to hear the hum though...you may have the switch doing series/parallel if it's not splitting it.

You know, I've actually been considering doing a mod...I think it's called 'dial-a-tap' where you can actually control the volume of one of the COILS by itself..this would be awesome, IMHO. Especially if you've doing it with a pickup like the JB that has great split tones.

Farkus

Comment

Originally posted by brisk
              I am a fan of JB with 250k in bolt-on neck guitar. It turned my MIM TD strat to a rock machine.

The JB rocks, eh?

I was a big DiMarzio player until I got my first SD by accident...happened to be a PINK JB, wound by MJ.

Best SD pickup I've ever played...wish it wasn't hot pink though

My strat had never sounded that good before...

Farkus

Comment

Damn, I think it's out of phase and not split because I'm getting hum in the down position but not in the up position. It also sounds thinner in the hum cancelling position (up).

Here's a pic of the way I've got it wired. Does it look correct to you?

Comment

So the JB can be pretty harsh and trebly with a 500k vol. pot and a 250k tames it? I want to put a JB in my MIM Fat Strat (which will have a single vol. knob, no tone) and try and get a sound similar to `80s era Jake E Lee , Warren Dmartini , George Lynch! I`ll be using a stomp box for distortion and another for eq. Which vol. pot should I get 250 or 500
                  When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Originally posted by gnugear
                    Damn, I think it's out of phase and not split because I'm getting hum in the down position but not in the up position. It also sounds thinner in the hum cancelling position (up).

Here's a pic of the way I've got it wired. Does it look correct to you?

one question, are the wires at the VERY top that connect to the chassis of the pot grounds? if so, yes, that's the correct split wiring. when the humbucker is split, it should hum, thats a dead give away if you did it right

Comment

Originally posted by 51501984
                      So the JB can be pretty harsh and trebly with a 500k vol. pot and a 250k tames it? I want to put a JB in my MIM Fat Strat (which will have a single vol. knob, no tone) and try and get a sound similar to `80s era Jake E Lee , Warren Dmartini , George Lynch! I`ll be using a stomp box for distortion and another for eq. Which vol. pot should I get 250 or 500
                      Bump , Can someone help me out here. Please!
                      When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Originally posted by 51501984
                        Bump , Can someone help me out here. Please!
                        250K!
                        "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

That is great it worked out for you. I think I am starting to like 300k volume pots for my guitars as well. I am about to switch my LP back to 300k volumes and keeping the 500k tones in place. I use a BBQ which is like a fatter JB....to me, very similar and also might benefit from the lower pot values.

Comment

Working...
                          X