banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys really not use your KNOBS???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you guys really not use your KNOBS???

i never really paid any attention to my tone knobs, i focused on my technique FIRST, then set out to find good tone, i'd been playing 3 years before i even touched my tone knobs, then i realised that the pickups sounded crap and bought some duncans. and now tone knobs still mean little, if you have technique people forget the tone and listen to the actually persons skills i.e. carlos santana. technique is ultimately more important...
    The object of music is not be to be better than others, it is to be better than yourself.

Comment

Although I do use the tone occasionally, I could live without it if I had to. As for the volume knob, I use the it constantly to vary the character of the guitar's sound.
      Last edited by frankencat; 06-13-2004, 07:01 PM.
      Owner:
      Slamo Custom Guitars
      Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish

Comment

I'm not interested in the tone argument, so I'll stick to the original post.

I use my volume and tone knobs all the time. My I like to use my volume as a gain knob, and my tone as a brite control.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Key elements in tone!! Can't live without either or, play a Les Paul - proof.

Comment

I guess I could get away with having a guitar with NO knobs! The only time I even touch them is to be sure that they're cranked all the way up. Now if I can only get knobs that go up to 11!

Very Metal.
            Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
            ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
            ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
            ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
            ESP KH-1
            LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
            BC Rich KKV
            Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
            Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

I hope some day I am as "lousy" as Gilmour or B.B. King
              surely you jest!---------Cheers!--JIMO-------------We were discussing this the other day---most people don't like the most technically superior musician otherwise I guess the biggest stars would be some opera guy or some chick singing in church. Like American "Idull" ,would you buy these peoples records? I like those artist that, to borrow a phrase of Robin Trower "stings me in my heart"
              EVH's Frankenstein was a factory second junker put together by a drunk teenager and it's one of the most sought after guitar tones ever...Ian Ballard

playing an electric guitar unplugged to determine how it will sound is like sitting in a car, with the engine off, to determine how fast it is.

Ron Kirn

Comment

Maybe its semantics but I think gilmour is a phenominal musician - that doesn't mean that he is the most technically proficient guitarist but muscianship is the culmination of several factors IMHO.
                By the way as what you would probably label as a bible beater (not exactly sure what that is) I am not really offended just a little concerned for your inability to recognize that in part peoples reactions to your comments are your responsibility and often reflect a lack of technique in social skills.
                I respect your history in the profession though and congratulate you on your return to school - I too am an older student - good luck to you.

Comment

I'm afraid I just don't use the tone knob very often - I'll only use it if the guitar is too bright, and then I'll turn the tone down and never move it again.

On one of my guitars I took out the tone knob and replaced it with a second volume control (to give a volume knob per pickup; previously there was a master tone and a master volume). These I do use to give me different levels, or to turn one pickup 'off'.

On another one I took the tone pot out and put an EMG-SPC mid-boost pot in instead. I use this all the time now (and I do vary the setting), but I never used to us the tone pot.

Comment

Originally posted by FiendN
                    WRONG!!!

Neither Gilmour nor B.B. King became famous because they were great guitar players. They became famous for a number of reasons...Gilmour because he was a major creative factor in a popular band.... B.B. King because he happened to be around during a blues revival in pop culture (and the fact that he has been around so long... It had to happen to him sooner or later).

The fact is, the best guitar players are the guys you have never heard of. The guys that play in sessions, play weddings, etc....

And I was'nt critisizing anyone... Just asking if people really didn't use their KNOBS. Thats all.

BUT since so many of you seem to be the sensitive type and have taken it personally, I'll take the bait and play your game...

I am not saying that I don't like Gilmour or King, I'm just stating what should be an obvious fact; Neither is a "Great" player. Period. I do happen to like gilmour. He came up with some really innoVative stuff. But a great musician he was/is NOT!
                    We are saying exactly the same thing...so i guess we agree.......

Comment

I modify my tone during playing this way:

- volume: volume pedal between recording preamp and mixer
                      - reduce gain, tone remaining equal for playing clean with high output HB: volume/wah pedal between guitar and effects
                      - reduce gain + cutting the highs: volume pot w/o cap
                      - tone: tone pot (rarely)

In fact I'm standing on Mr. Crybaby half of the time not using the knobs.
                      Is that very weird?
                      Fender Strat Elite, Epiphone Emporer Regent, Framus Renegade Pro (4x SD Pickups!!!), modded Samick Skull&Snake
                      Marshall 6101, Vox AD30VT
                      Pedals, pedals, pedals ...

Comment

Depends on whether you're into Metallica...

in all seriousness, I don't think it's weird... my gear is so bad that the tone knob doesn't make much of a difference anyway
                        Originally posted by Kanye West
                        Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

I'd like to argue that David Gilmour happens to be a great musician, but that's my opinion and yours is yours. Who is to really say who is great? Sure, these metal guys can shred on their guitars, but in my OPINION, I think a good blues guitarist can rip em up. Get my point? I personaly have played with so called "great musicians" who were the cover band types. They played amazing covers but couldn't write something to save their a$$. As soon as I play something orginal in my own style, they were lost. In this case, they were great at what they do, and I am great at what I do. Opinions, key word here.

Comment

Anyways I agree bigtime about the unknown ones, playing all kinds of everyday gigs on normal common equipment, I use that kind of stuff too, nothing overly fancy or expensive, I use things that works and that I can get useable sounds out of.
                            Plus I have played really strange things, these days I do not play live anymore, no time left for it, plus it is a @@$[{hassle to get decent people to play with.
                            But I hope to get back into later on, because I still love it.

Comment

Originally posted by crowscrown
                              I'd like to argue that David Gilmour happens to be a great musician, but that's my opinion and yours is yours.
                              amen! if i could play with his emotion, his choice of notes and his ability to fit in with a band, i'd die happy.

just wondering feindn, who do you consider a *good* musician? or a *good* guitarist?

Comment

I never touch the tone controls. On my SG's, the front tone is backed all the way off, and the lead is full on. Volume on the front is about 3 normally, full on in back. Now, on the LP Custom, everything is full on to get everything out of the pups. With the Tele, full on everything. Strat same. On my Dean Z, I've bypassed the tone on the lead pup and that one goes straight to the output. Same with my Gibby V. So, I guess the answer would be for me....No, I don't touch the knobs all that much.
                                www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X