banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys really not use your KNOBS???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you guys really not use your KNOBS???

in my first years of guitar playing I used to play Heavy ****,Thrash,Metal etc and I never used the tone and volume controls except in "To Live is To Die" Arpeggio part's violining notes...I turned volume up&down for a sustained violin sound...anyway time passed and my music style changed also my gear changed...so now I'm using the tone & volume controls frequently on my strat and lp...I get great tonal versatility with that...
    90' Heritage H-147 w/Schaller Golden 50's
    99' USA Fender Stratocaster
    96' Fender Montara Electric/Acoustic
    79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Comment

Re: Do you guys really not use your KNOBS???

Originally posted by FiendN
      Jeez

I read 10 posts a day where folks claim that they never use their volume and tone knobs!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? I use both to the extent that over the 12 year life of my tele I've worn out 2 sets!!! ESPECIALLY your tone knob!!! How can you just leave it wide open ALL of the time??? But then again, I guess I use the volume just as much to roll back to a clean sound.

I just don't get it. You guys don't know what you are missing!!!

EXPLORE YOUR INSTRUMENT!

mAYBE folks don't use them because they are not nice shiny expensive new pieces of gear like their boutique amps or esoteric effects etc.. SEEMS LIKE PEOPLE SPEND WAY TOO MUCH TIME WORRYING ABOUT *TONE* AND WAY TOO LITTLE TIME PRACTISING OR WORRYING ABOUT TECHNIQUE!!!
      This is dreadfully apparrent when one samples some of the "CLIPS" that can be found here (I have heard a few great ones, though)

out

I use mine ALL the time. I use my volume knob on my bridge pickup to vary the ouput for certain tones, like when i do classic rock and don't feel like moving the gain knob on my amp. I also use the tone knob on my bridge pup to thicken up my rhythm tone, I only bring it down about 1 or 2 notches to do so. I also use it to fatten up my solo tone sometimes. On my neck pup, I use the volume to get a quick clean tone and my tone for fluid lead lines and solos.

I agree, electric guitarist should be familar with how the volume and tone knobs affect their tone. These controls can do quite a bit and some guitarist are missing out on it.
      CURRENT RIG:

2004 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (SD PGb bridge, DMZ VVB neck)
      2012 Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue (Mojotone '72 Clone WRHB set)
      2017 Balaguer Scumden (SD PG set)
      2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster (GFS Surf 90s)

Jet City JCA50H
      Avatar Signature 2x12 loaded with Greenbacks
      lots 'o pedals

Comment

Working...
      X