banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm getting desperate ... A5 in a Distortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting desperate ... A5 in a Distortion?

Okay, here's my situation.

I'm doing a video for my work and it calls for some surf music. I've got all bridge humbuckers in my guitars so I need a single coil sound.

Well, I got a JB from the 80s and I thought it would be perfect for splitting. That and I've been wanting to get another JB for some time.

Well, the JB aint working. I can only get a reading of 8.0k which leads me to believe one of the coils aint working.

Sooooo ... I've got a Distortion and an A5 magnet!

First off, how does the Distortion sound when split? Is the ceramic magnet going to be too harsh?

Secondly, how does the Distortion sound with a A5 ... is it essentially a JB?

Re: I'm getting desperate ... A5 in a Distortion?

Originally posted by gnugear
    Okay, here's my situation.

I'm doing a video for my work and it calls for some surf music. I've got all bridge humbuckers in my guitars so I need a single coil sound.

Well, I got a JB from the 80s and I thought it would be perfect for splitting. That and I've been wanting to get another JB for some time.

Well, the JB aint working. I can only get a reading of 8.0k which leads me to believe one of the coils aint working.

Sooooo ... I've got a Distortion and an A5 magnet!

First off, how does the Distortion sound when split? Is the ceramic magnet going to be too harsh?

Secondly, how does the Distortion sound with a A5 ... is it essentially a JB?
    if you need a single coil tone and the JB has one dead coil, wouldnt that work perfectly?

Comment

I've been trying all day to wire the thing and it produces an out of phase sound rather than a single coil sound. I'm not sure what's going on but after tearing my hair out for a couple of hours I finally yanked my 4 conductor Screamin Demon to test along side the JB. The Deamon reads just fine, but the JB is producing some really strange numbers.

I wish it was that easy!

Comment

Wire the Distortion as a single coil. No need to swap the mag, it sounds fine split.

Comment

Doh!

I just swapped the magnet

Sounds pretty good and it reminds me of a JB ... although I wish I had a real JB to compare it too. The Distortion seemed a lot ballsier with the ceramic magnet. The output was right at 16k, but when I put the A5 in it and installed the 250k pot, my reading dropped to 15.4k (7.4k split). It definitely sounds like I've got a single coil in there now.

While I was at it I also put a A2 back into my EVH. I used to have an A5 in there and I think it was a little beefier but not as sweet. It was also darker sounding.
          Last edited by gnugear; 06-13-2004, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X