Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k7 pups

hello everyone

well... in my search for "the perfect 7 string" guitar...i have decided to buy one ibanez k7 next june...and before i get it i wish to know what pups will macht up better with that guitar. (i don´t like a paf on bridge, and i don´t like to mix dimarzio and duncan, for no particular reason, simply i prefer a duncan set)

k7: mahogany body,5pc. Maple/ Bubinga Neck, Bound Rosewood Finger Board, Lo Pro Edge 7 w/U-bar bridge

i will play metal with it most of time, but i want also the best cleans for the neck position...

i have now a distortion trembucker(bridge), 59(neck) on my ibanez joe satriani (baswood, rosewood and floyd rose)...would this set work for the k7? another thing, does seymour make 7string trembucker pups??

thanks a lot

see ya
    Justice is LOST
    Justice is RAPED
    Justice is GONE

Pulling your Strings
    Justice is DONE

Seeking no TRUTH
    Winning is All
    Find it so GRIM, so TRUE, so REAL

You have to give the mahagony body a consideration, choose a Duncan that’ll complement the warm midrange of this guitar.

PS: Why K7? (might be personal for you but do share…)
    I tried the following 7string K7/ AX7/ RG7321/ RG7620/ UV & ended up with the 7620, whose pickups remain stock til this day. I guess I like the tone from the Dimarzio… oops! I’m not suppose to say that D-word here am I?

Are you really Nicholas Barker? Hmm...
    Psychic Horns

Comment

well i choose the k7 for a lot of reasons...first of all his construction and wood, the rest is very similar to the others 7 string ones.. most ibanez 7 strings have a mid single coil pup...which ones i don´t like (i don´t like HSH guitars)...and the k7 edge pro bridge with the U bar is unique (yeah i won´t play anything korn but i´m sure i can give the u bar a try and make some different sounds, altough it´s also a standard locking tremolo so i can put there an standard arm and thats it...

most ibanez sevens have v7 and v8 pickups and the other have the blaze, not bad but i want to sound very near to my actual 6 string sound (Duncan distortion trem and 59)

so do the same set (on their 7 string models) work?¿?

i don´t know actually which model complement that midrange...so what can you tell me?
      Last edited by 11m thrasher; 03-24-2004, 05:38 PM.
      Justice is LOST
      Justice is RAPED
      Justice is GONE

Pulling your Strings
      Justice is DONE

Seeking no TRUTH
      Winning is All

Comment

custom 7 and the '59 7 string versionpups
        or a distortion 7 and the same neck pup

Comment

My friend. I dunno if the Custom7 would work for the K7, I have friends here who swear by the Custom model but it’s resident in basswood bodies. If you prefer the Distortion in your 6, I’d guess it would be a safe choice for your 7. the ’59 is a good pick for the neck though.

My RG7620 has default Dimarzio7 in both the neck & bridge. For some strange reason, the neck sounds like a Full Shred so it’s for keeps. I’ve heard the Blaze pickups but don’t quite like the midrange it produces. Have you actually plugged in the K7 into theamp of your preference? Maybe it’d sound good by chance… I hear you on the Ibanez V pickups, these are better off swapped…

I respect your philosophy for choosing the K7. Others would be attracted to it for some Korny reasons, glad you aren’t one… the K7 would be a very tempting guitar for me, if only it has a tone knob…
          Psychic Horns

Comment

yeah, i read a little time ago that zerberus uses a custom in his baritone seven for bridge, but his guitar is a baswood one...about the 59 i think is the best choice...i want the perfect bridge one (for metal).

i tried the guitar into a triple xxx 212 combo, a dual recto, a dsl, and into a peavey studio pro (my practice amp right now) i get satisfied on every amp...i liked it very much on the triple xxx...but i have to heard it with the duncans...the pafs aren´t bad, thats for sure but i don´t like "paf sounding" on a bridge pup... i prefer modern ones like jb or distortion...i have read over there that the custom is a litle vintage like...
            Last edited by 11m thrasher; 03-21-2004, 09:36 AM.
            Justice is LOST
            Justice is RAPED
            Justice is GONE

Pulling your Strings
            Justice is DONE

Seeking no TRUTH
            Winning is All

Comment

btw

keep away from the emg ones right? i mean, i have a 81 set on my ltd explorer 400 but i dunno if a 707 pup will work for me on a seven...what do you know about that pup?¿?

another thing...can you tell me if seven string models (duncan,dimarzio or emg) are trembucker spaced?¿?

thanks a lot
              Last edited by 11m thrasher; 03-22-2004, 08:04 AM.
              Justice is LOST
              Justice is RAPED
              Justice is GONE

Pulling your Strings
              Justice is DONE

Seeking no TRUTH
              Winning is All

Comment

bro... the EMG 7 is a little wider than passive 7string units, the Ibanez cavity needs to be gouged a little to accomodate this pickup- ouch!
                Psychic Horns

Comment

Working...
                X