No announcement yet.

Does this sound like it's out of phase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this sound like it's out of phase?

I just wired up my S/S/H with a split in the humbucker and I'm wondering if this sounds correct. When I split the humbuker and use it in combination with the middle pickup, it sounds really out of phase. As far as I know the magnet is in the right direction, so is that a normal function for that position?

Re: Does this sound like it's out of phase?

Originally posted by gnugear
    I just wired up my S/S/H with a split in the humbucker and I'm wondering if this sounds correct. When I split the humbuker and use it in combination with the middle pickup, it sounds really out of phase. As far as I know the magnet is in the right direction, so is that a normal function for that position?
    if the magnet was the wrong way it wouldnt give an out of phase nasaly tone, it'd give you hum. does it sound split when you using just the humbucker?

Comment

I think it sounds split ... but it's been so long since I've split one that I'm not positive.

So are you saying that it should NOT produce the nasaly sound? Because that's what I'm hearing.

Comment

Instead of connecting the bridge humbuckers red/white wires (SD codes) to ground, run a jumper to the bridge positions black lead. This will leave the adjacent coil hot and should cure your phase issues.

When mixing SD pickups with Fender pickups it is often nessessary to use the green as hot and the black for ground. Rewiring the bridge HB to these specs will also cure your phase problem but doing it this way you will want the red/white wires connected to ground instead of to the black (hot) lead.
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDirt
          if the magnet was the wrong way it wouldnt give an out of phase nasaly tone, it'd give you hum. does it sound split when you using just the humbucker?
          To gnugear read Robert's post, to HolyDirt, the magnet determines whether the signal induced is of one polarity or the other( so does the coil winding direction); however, the phase can be reversed by swapping to ends of the coil. In gnugear's case it might be easier for him to swap BOTH of his single coil leads (strat pups), if it sounds in phase but hums, then he'll have to rewire his bridge pup to get the other coil (opposite magnetic polarity).
          The magnet influences the phase of the signal, but that can be corrected through wiring. Hum-cancelling most however have opposing magnetic fields though.
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
          X