EMGs.. results of tone experiments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMGs.. results of tone experiments

well, i picked up my EMGs again, and tried to get a better idea of improving how they sound... Used a DSL 401 to experiment with..

to my ears, they sound a lot better when distortion is solid state based... i dont know why, but i prefer the tones you get from distortion pedals to the valves! im usually totally the other way round; when i use passives i never use distortion boxes, always power tube gain...

i like the tone im getting, though - gain turned up on the clean channel till it *just* starts to break up when you dig in. have any other EMG users noticed this kind of thing? i was playing with a boss HM2 and MZ2, and a big muff...

makes for a good use of a sunday afternoon, at least...

Re: EMGs.. results of tone experiments

Depends on what model EMG's you are talking about. I find the EMG 81 to be harsh and compressed sounding but the EMG 85 is big and warm sounding. Personally I prefer Duncans over just about anything but EMG's do have thier place.
    Owner:
    Slamo Custom Guitars
    Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish

Comment

Re: EMGs.. results of tone experiments

thats the thing, with solid state distortion i found the 81 becomes much more dynamic.. they both do different things very nicely, but the duncans dont do anything *badly*, unless your wondering why a bridge invader won't do cleans

Comment

Working...
      X