Direct comparison JB versus Custom Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct comparison JB versus Custom Bridge

I own an esp EC-1000 which is a very nice Les Paul style guitar. In it right now is a JB bridge that it came with and I'm considering the Custom. I like the JB because of the clarity and singing quality but I don't have any first hand experience with the Custom. I know I like to have a lot of crunch and chunk available in a bridge pickup. I have a Distortion in my Ibanez but I think that might be too much in a fixed bridge guitar like this one and I don't want two guitars that sound similiar. What are your arguments between the two, pros cons? Anyone direct compare them before? what do you think.

for extra credit: I also have a '59 neck in there now, considering swapping to a Jazz. if you want to add comments about this also, feel free.

Re: Direct comparison JB versus Custom Bridge

I'll go for xtra cerdit Alex.

The Custom is pretty defferent from the JB. It has much more in the way of low-mids, so it sounds thicker. It's also balanced like a PAF on steroids. You could play some convincing AC/DC, The Darkness, Jet with it. Or Aerosmith, whatever you're into. It's a hard-rock pickup for sure, I love it.

It's a little similar to the Distortion though. Just a little. The Distortion's bass is tighter, and it sounds a little, dare I say "processed" to me, where I think the Custom has more presence and warmth.

The Jazz is similar to a 59, I think of it as a 59 without the boomy bass and with more chime and articulation. But they actually do seem to have some kind of similar vibe.
    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Originally posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

To me the Custom sounds thicker but also harder. The JB feels and sounds warmer to me in the same guitar.

Comment

Good tone is where you find it. If your happy with the way a pickup sounds in one guitar, feel free to install it in another. The guitar's woods and hardware will make it sound different from the others. Look at Mr. Lynch- most of his guitars have Screamin' Demons in em', an gosh-dangit, they ALL sound very different! The JB does have a warm singing quality to it. The Custom adds more low-end chunk and would be more suited to heavier rock/metal playing styles.

Very Metal.
        Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
        ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
        ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
        ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
        ESP KH-1
        LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
        BC Rich KKV
        Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
        Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

What Korovamilkdud said.
          Originally posted by Scott_F
          On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Originally posted by 7th Hell
            Good tone is where you find it. If your happy with the way a pickup sounds in one guitar, feel free to install it in another. The guitar's woods and hardware will make it sound different from the others. Look at Mr. Lynch- most of his guitars have Screamin' Demons in em', an gosh-dangit, they ALL sound very different! The JB does have a warm singing quality to it. The Custom adds more low-end chunk and would be more suited to heavier rock/metal playing styles.

Very Metal.
            When I talked to Lynchat a show, he mentioned most of his guitars use the JB, but maybe he switched.

I agree that many people use the same pickups in every guitar and they all sound different. I know guys who have the Rio BBQ in every guitar...some have the JB in every guitar and others the C-5.

Comment

Checking again custom being Sh-11 or SH-5?

Comment

hi,

my RR1 came with a TB4 bridge and Jazz neck. I found the TB4 somewhat thin sounding so I replaced it with the SH5. This is a great combination. Previously I didn't like the TB4 for soloing so I only used the jazz, which gave a more fluent and warm tone. Now, I use the custom also for soloing. It has more gain, warmth and sounds more fluent.

I've put the TB4 in my ESP Horizon together with a '59 (I replaced the original LH 200's). This makes an excellent all-round combination, but the '59 is, IMO, not that suitable for a distorted sound. Maybe it's because I'm used to the jazz-neck for soloing and sweeps, but it's hard to get a good articulated distorted!! sound out of it. Clean, the '59 simply rules!

edit: hmm, the '59 is suitable for distortion, but maybe just more for rock than metal
                Last edited by Iced Dragon; 06-17-2004, 04:35 AM.
                When the road gets tough, the tough get roadies

My gear

Comment

Originally posted by Iced Dragon
                  edit: hmm, the '59 is suitable for distortion, but maybe just more for rock than metal
                  trust me, it's well suited for metal

Comment

Yes, the 59 is fine for metal. I saw a local guy use a Warmoth strat with a Duncan in the bridge running through a Marshall. He had an amazing thickand heavy tone. I asked what he had in the bridge and he said a 59!

I think the Custom sounds and feels harder than the JB which to me feels and sounds warmer and thicker......

Comment

I compared them in my RG. I found the JB a bit warmer, custom a bit more agressive with more bottomend, more scooped and compressed but more what i think is called paf'ish. Custom had more crunch. But i like the JB more it's more modern sounding and fits better with my rig.
                      RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                      TS 7 (modded)
                      Hot Rod 50+ XL
                      Framus Dragon 4x12
                      V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Working...
                      X