Alnico 5 DDn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico 5 DDn!

So I tried it out today, it was a pain making the swap though. Had to unscrew the coils (that huge ceramic magnet was in there GOOD). Pry it off, and screw the coils back in after I threw in the A5. Then the coils weren't lining up very well (one was higher than the other), so I had to start ditching spacers. But after I did that, they lined up okay and I was ready to go.

The bass of the Distortion is still there, but the best part of it is that there is a bit more clarity, while still being smooth and mellow. It sounds more like a real neck pickup now (forgive me for my wording: but it's true) which I like. In fact, it sounds like what I remember wishing the 59 sounded like: clear, less boomy with rounder mids, with a good strong output.

I'm quite glad I decided to switch to hotter neck pups.
    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Originally posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Re: Alnico 5 DDn!

Very interesting! How would you describe the cleans compared to the '59?
    I'm thinking it sounds really FAT under gain with nice crunch?

Comment

It actually reminded me a little bit of a 59. You have to keep in mind of course, that it isn't a PAF like neck humbucker, but it has a little bit of chime to it: unlike it's stock form. It is plenty fat under gain, and it actually sounds a lot like the woman tone with the tone on 10. The difference between tone on 10 and on 0 is subtle, but there. I could really see this pickup as a garage-rocker's dream.
      Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
      Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
      Originally posted by Sosomething
      "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

I just did it in the bridge position. I've heard that it turns it into a JB but can anyone comfirm this?

That ceramic magnet is BIG!

Comment

gnugear,

Goto http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~dgb/hum_e.htm and http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~dgb/Hum1997_e.htm The SD, DDN, and Custom types use the same wire. DDn a5 would be like an under wound C5. You did this for the bridge position? What are you using for the neck? does it balence? Type of music/amp? I'm real curious about the DDn a5 or a2 in the bridge.

Thanks Chuck
          Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Working...
          X