Custom in SG Vs. Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom in SG Vs. Strat

I've had a Custom in the bridge of my Strat plus (maple neck) for some time now, and decided to put one in my SG as well and get rid of those stock gibson pups.

So I put a 59N/Custom combo in the SG...it sounds great...but it seems I get less gain from the Custom in the SG than in the Fender.

Is this normal, or could it be the way the pup is setup?

Also the 59 is very trebley when the tone is on 10...but when I have it set to about 6-7 it's got a sweet sound.
    thereveling.com

Re: Custom in SG Vs. Strat

no one has any insight on this?
    thereveling.com

Comment

Correct wiring?
      Same height?
      Same string gauge/tension?

The tone bleeds treble so that is OK.
      `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````

Comment

The pups are closer to the strings in the Strat.

If I raise them on the SG, how will that affect the tone? Will it give me higher output?
        thereveling.com

Comment

It may be the difference in woods. A mahogany SG plus a Custom pup will have a darker tone than your strat (unless your strat is mahogany too).

Comment

Keep in mind that the bridge pickup in an SG is closer to the bridge than it is to the strat. As you get closer to the bridge, the strings have less vibrating energy, and this might account for the different.
            This machine kills fascists

Comment

so will adjusting the pup height make a difference?
              thereveling.com

Comment

Just out of curiosity, mr breaker, is that Strat an HSS setup? If so, does that Custom overpower the singles or is it a good match? What other pups are in that Strat?

Comment

Originally posted by mr breaker
                  so will adjusting the pup height make a difference?
                  yes it does.

when i had my bc rich bronze warlock i raised the pups and it gives u more output to a more punchy trebley sound. but i think it decreases ur sustain or bass or something.
                  we can be heroes

Comment

Does the strat have a 250k volume pot and the sg a 500k? If so that would explain why the pup is brighter in the sg.

Comment

what wood is your strat body? alder or ash
                      • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                      • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                      • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                      • G&L Tribute Comanche
                      • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                      • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Gamera
                        Just out of curiosity, mr breaker, is that Strat an HSS setup? If so, does that Custom overpower the singles or is it a good match? What other pups are in that Strat?

Yeah, its a HSS, its got the Custom and two fender lace pups...blue and silver.

The Custom obviously has higher output, but its matched well with the single coils. (I also have a custom in an Epi LP and it gets similiar output to the strat)

I'm not sure what wood the body of the strat is...its a 1983 Strat plus with a maple neck. (I bought it used 6 years ago)

I also don't know what the pots are...I havent changed them, so whatever is standard. The SG is a 1961 reissue from 2002

If I change the SG to a lower vol pot how will that effect it?

(I really do like the tone I'm getting out of the SG as it is now, but it is a little on the bright side, and doesn't have quite as much gain as I would prefer)
                        Last edited by mr breaker; 06-18-2004, 09:58 AM.
                        thereveling.com

Comment

The pups are closer to the strings in the Strat.

If I raise them on the SG, how will that affect the tone? Will it give me higher output?
                          yes it.Pickup height is one of the most important thing to adjust in my opinion....but what I'm telling here? if the pickup is nearer it will give you more output and it will change the sound. You have to find your own sweet spot where it sounds the best. seymours specs on the faq are a good point to start.
                          if i remember right the custom shouldn't bet too near to the strings, but i just played it one week. I like the JB very near to the strings

lower pot value will give you a bit less output and a bit less highs the sound will be a bit warmer maybe.
                          Last edited by Marcel; 06-19-2004, 06:23 AM.
                          RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                          TS 7 (modded)
                          Hot Rod 50+ XL
                          Framus Dragon 4x12
                          V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Just for an update...

I finally got around to adjusting the pup height. I raised the custom in the SG quite a bit, and now the tone and output matches my strat pretty close.

Before it the SG had more of an AC/DC tone, now its more rock-sounding which is what I'm going for.

I thought it sounded good before...now it sounds perfect!
                            thereveling.com

Comment

Just for an update...

I finally got around to adjusting the pup height. I raised the custom in the SG quite a bit, and now the tone and output matches my strat pretty close.

Before it the SG had more of an AC/DC tone, now its more rock-sounding which is what I'm going for.

I thought it sounded good before...now it sounds perfect!
                              nice to hear....
                              RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                              TS 7 (modded)
                              Hot Rod 50+ XL
                              Framus Dragon 4x12
                              V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Working...
                              X