Hot Rails - complete set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rails - complete set

We don't seem to to hear much about the Hot Rails neck pup. I notice it's around 10K, a lot lower than the bridge model. What do these sound like? What other pups do they compare to? Do they have a bit more clarity than the bridge model? Seems like they'd almost have to....

I'm interested in this too, I think a Strat with three Hot Rails would be sweet.

Any takers?
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

The only difference in tones would be the differences inherent to the positions. The idea is kind of like having 3 stock Strat pups (but much much beefier and higher output of course).
      Ibanez RG1570: stock
      Squier Strat: stock

Next on the list: an amp that isn't crap!

Comment

Actually, the Hot Rails neck model has only a bit more output and a slightly darker tone than the Cool Rails neck model. They are voiced to be simular to the HR bridge pickup but they are not nearly as hot or as thick sounding.

I have never wired a 3 Hat rails guitar before, but it would sound pretty cool.
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

A friend of mine has a Hot Rails in the neck position of his Jackson Performer Dinky. Before I tried it, I expected it to sound muddy and lack clarity. When I did eventually try it I found it to be a very smooth sounding pickup which I found useful for bluesy leads.

It's something I would consider myself in a strat. Infact, I'm thinking of replacing the Lil 59 neck pup in my Browcaster with a HR.

Craig

Comment

I've allways liked Dave Murray's(Iron Maiden) soloing tone when he uses his neck pickup. His singing liquid legato runs are inspiring to me. Anyways, he uses hot rails in the neck and middle position, with a full sized JB at the bridge in his Fender HM signature strat and I'm pretty sure they are both the hotter brigde position versions. I've deemed my Jackson SL1 my "shredder" axe, so I replaced the stock classic stack at the neck and popped in a hot rail, and there it was, all the smooth singing, sweeping arpegio tones needed for shredding above the 12th fret I was looking for. Granted, it sucks for playing rythem(MUD), but thats why you switch back to the bridge(JB) for rythem like everyone else does...well shredders anyways. In position 4, combined with the classic stack in the middle I even get some quack if you can believe that! This works great for clean passages also. Well, it works great for me. YMMV.
            Jackson DK1,(stock),Robin Medley Exotic Top(RG Muy Grand,b, Vin.Tall boy n), Robin Medley 2(A2Pn, XL500b), Gibson LP Classic(PG set),, ADA MP1(Mod 4) , Mesa 20\20, AxeFX...GenzBenz cabs...

Comment

The neck hot rails is great for soloing. I'm a bridge position rhythm player and a neck soloer, so I've used this pup quite a bit. I can't use it for rhythm because it's too undefined. But for soloing, it's awesome. It's a bit tighter sounding than most neck humbuckers, which I like as I play it in a strat style guitar. I've got a HRn and HRb pup in a Fender pickguard that I'm getting ready to drop into a strat...I actually prefer the HRn and full size pup in the bridge, for which I had been using the JB. The HRn and JB in the bridge are an awesome rock combo...I'm still looking for a neck position full size humbucker that sounds as good with the JB in the bridge as the HRn does...
              2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
              1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Farkus, do you notice any volume drop switching between the JB and the HRn? I was going to try the HRn(10K), but was worried there would be a drop when switching to the neck, so I went with the HRb(16K).
                Jackson DK1,(stock),Robin Medley Exotic Top(RG Muy Grand,b, Vin.Tall boy n), Robin Medley 2(A2Pn, XL500b), Gibson LP Classic(PG set),, ADA MP1(Mod 4) , Mesa 20\20, AxeFX...GenzBenz cabs...

Comment

i just wired a hot rails neck into a guitar for a guy and it sounded pretty nice and a buddy of mine has the iron maiden strat and it sounds good

Comment

Now that I got my HRn in the mail I've got something to look forward to. Sounds like it's a good 'un.

Comment

Originally posted by Neoclassic
                      I've allways liked Dave Murray's(Iron Maiden) soloing tone when he uses his neck pickup. His singing liquid legato runs are inspiring to me. Anyways, he uses hot rails in the neck and middle position, with a full sized JB at the bridge in his Fender HM signature strat and I'm pretty sure they are both the hotter bridge position versions.
                      nope. he uses hot rails in all three positions. jan is the one that uses JBJr's and when fender was doing the IM signature strat, they took that into consideration and instead of doing a dave murray sig, they replaced the bridge hotrail with a JBJr.. dave used JB's in the late 80's early 90's but since BNW he switched to hot rails exclusively.
                      and i agree, his lead tone is amazing!

for the 3 hot rails setup and it's tonal versatility, you should listen to Iron Maidens Rock in Rio =)

Comment

Originally posted by Neoclassic
                        I've allways liked Dave Murray's(Iron Maiden) soloing tone when he uses his neck pickup. His singing liquid legato runs are inspiring to me. Anyways, he uses hot rails in the neck and middle position, with a full sized JB at the bridge in his Fender HM signature strat and I'm pretty sure they are both the hotter brigde position versions.
                        Dave uses 3 Hotrails. They loaded the IM Signature Strat with a JB in the bridge, 'cause Janick was using it. But Dave's guitars are fully loaded with HR's.

I have a HR neck at home on the drawer, I was planning on selling it, but I will keep it
                        Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Re: Hot Rails - complete set

Just a follow-up....
                          The neck Hot Rails is great. Gibson-y, but clearer. I don't have much P-90 experience but this must be close. Sounds OK split - not great, not Stratty, but OK in it's own way. Now to try it another axe....

Comment

ive never really liked the hot rails split, a little too shrill.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
                              ive never really liked the hot rails split, a little too shrill.
                              Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                              X