After More mids? Duncan eq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After More mids? Duncan eq

I find that seymourduncan pickups have less mids and more treble and bass. Most of the eq settings on the tone chart are scooped and I have yet to try at least 1 balanced pickup in the eq range. They may be more vintage but I find that they sound more brittle and less smooth to my ears. Whereas I have had no problems with dimarzio pickups I find most of their pups have a more of a creamy, full sound and arent so harsh to the ears?

I would like to know your opinions
    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
    Blackstar HT-5
    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Re: After More mids? Duncan eq

While I don't like to make blanket statements about companies I would have to agree that most of Duncans pickups are scooped sounding...which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Dimarzio goes both roads though, some are scooped like the Steves Special but more of them are fairly balanced as far as EQ or have a bump in the mids and or low mids like the Super DIstortion, Super 3, or Evolution.

Both make great pickups though....I use em all.

Comment

What about the Seth Lover and the Custom Custom? Or are they the only ones, besides the P90s? I'm not saying, I'm asking, I haven't played with Seths or Custom Customs before.

Comment

custom custom are only a bridge model, and that is only a few.
        PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
        1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
        Blackstar HT-5
        2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
        Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Yes, I was merely asking if the pickups I named were exceptions.

Comment

i dont really find them sounding "scooped" but the tone chart isn't as good as the dimarzio one. the custom isn't scooped, to me at least. it has a very balance eq in my opinion and sounds full to me. actually, to me duncan pickups seem to have more of a midrange presence which makes them cut through better. duncan pickups seem more "unforgiving" and dimarzio seems more "user friendly"
            but i like duncans alot better, as it makes a better player out of my self.

Comment

I haven't played many duncan's, but based on the tone chart, I'd say most of the Duncans are well rounded, or have an upper spike (upper-mids, highs), whereas Dimarzios have mostly a large midrange spike. Is that right?
              • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
              • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
              • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
              • G&L Tribute Comanche
              • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
              • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
              • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I don't agree to that observation of yours. The scooped ones I'd say are C5s, and 59bs, while the others have solid lowermids.

If I were you I'd check CC. For the neck a2p's, and PGn's are so far from being scooped. They are thick, have the lowermids make them sing for ages.

And another thing, I actually have used the other companies pickups for quite a long time, for more than 8 years. Now I think that they all have some metallic side to them, which is why I sold/traded all of them. Vaguely speaking, SD's are brighter yes, but not icepicky or mettalic.

B
                Last edited by dr.barlo; 06-16-2004, 10:05 PM.
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Many Duncans have a treble presence but not a huge midrange presence I would say. That's not to say they are completely void of mids but they are not as full sounding as most of the Dimarzio models IMO.

In certain guitars I find that upper treble presence of Duncans to sound like an ice-pick though.

Comment

I guess whatever you hear as midrange presence sounds metallic to me. So you buy dimarzio's and I go for duncans!

B
                    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

ACtually I own pickups from both brands. My current favorite Duncans are the JB and Screamin Demon although I would like to try the Custom Custom and C5 as well. I didn't like the regular custom too much...I found it sterile sounding.

The Duncan Distortion was good too...fairly versatile.

Comment

This is a good example of how everyone hears things differently. I think Duncans have plenty of mids, I use the Custom, Distortion, and Custom Custom. To me Duncans are more "Hi-Fi" sounding and Dimarzios are, uh...well, Dimarzios (<----- NOT a DiMarzio fan) but if they work for you, more power to you.

Cheers,

CJ
                        www.myspace.com/cjreaper

Comment

Originally posted by Usurper666
                          This is a good example of how everyone hears things differently. I think Duncans have plenty of mids, I use the Custom, Distortion, and Custom Custom. To me Duncans are more "Hi-Fi" sounding and Dimarzios are, uh...well, Dimarzios (<----- NOT a DiMarzio fan) but if they work for you, more power to you.

Cheers,

CJ
                          AMEN, bro. To each his own.
                          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                          • G&L Tribute Comanche
                          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Working...
                          X