Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what pickup for shred?

hello my goiod friends!!!

im in a good mood now, because i got a new guitar today. a red 80's charvel with maple neck and fretboard, and vintage style tremolo.
    i ahve a strange feeling that this will be my 80's metal, shred or dead axe. so therefore i wish to change the pickup it's got in there. they look like actives, with the black cover on them, with the jackson logo. i ahve to check the electronics to see if they're active.
    so what should i put in it? i was thinking of a Custom or a JB for that awesome 80's tone
    what do you guys think? and recommendations........... please.

JB or DD will nail the 80ies tone.

My JB looks like an active too with the black plastic cover, gives it that 'what the hell is under there?!' look.

Comment

I'm a JB man myself...it rules for 80's metal tone! I just installed a full shred into my ash strat, it is very good also. It has a little more defined tone. In this strat I can easily get shred tone like Nuno...not very Yngwie like though (duh!). Still, sounds great for sweeping and alt picking as it is articulate.

Farkus
      2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
      1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

The best Seymour Duncan shred pick up would be the Screamin' Demon, I've never heard another Duncan or DiMarzio for that matter better than this baby. It's also my alltime favorite pick up. Now I haven't tried all Duncans, but I can assure you an amazing shred sound, with huge picking attack, excellent harmonics and well balanced open sounds. The only problem is that it might be too medium-ish output for your standards and a little more modern in my believes. Maybe you should try a Custom in the bridge and a Demon in the neck. I might try that combo myself in the future
        Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
        Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
        Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
        Marshall 2x12 Vintage
        Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

I would use a Demon 1st and then a JB. The Demon will give you a slightly more modern tone. A JB with an overdrive pedal will give you the ultimate 80's metal tone!!
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

well, personally i would go with the JB too for an 80s shred metal tone.
            but alot of it also depends on ur amp.

plus there are lots of 80's type of shred tones. take paul gilbert and say..erm...mike angelo for example. both sound so differnet yet both sound great.
            1987 Ibanez RG550: Steve Special, SSL-2, Air Norton
            1999 Jackson PS6T-KE: Crazy 8
            Jackson KVX10: X2N
            1997 Epi Les Paul Slash: Virtual PAF, Hum From Hell
            Early 90's Yamaha RGZ621D: JB, Screamin' Demon
            http://fusionken.blogspot.com
            http://project-jeng.blogspot.com

Comment

If you are looking for a midrange-inclined tone, which is typical of the ‘80s, then go the JB way. If you solo in the neck & wish for clarity, then opt for the Full Shred- no, not because it has ‘shred’ in its name, it’s a unit which manifests clarity, especially single note definition. The FS is my fav shred pickup period!
              Psychic Horns

Comment

Originally posted by bloodswords
                If you are looking for a midrange-inclined tone, which is typical of the ‘80s, then go the JB way. If you solo in the neck & wish for clarity, then opt for the Full Shred- no, not because it has ‘shred’ in its name, it’s a unit which manifests clarity, especially single note definition. The FS is my fav shred pickup period!
                For purely shred, I would have to agree with bloodswords
                2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

I think the JB is a sure bet for the bridge. The only other option I dont see metioned yet is the Distortion neck version. With a ceramic magnet and 12K wind, you should get great shred up the neck with a tight pick attack! I'm thinking of trying that one myself.
                  Jackson DK1,(stock),Robin Medley Exotic Top(RG Muy Grand,b, Vin.Tall boy n), Robin Medley 2(A2Pn, XL500b), Gibson LP Classic(PG set),, ADA MP1(Mod 4) , Mesa 20\20, AxeFX...GenzBenz cabs...

Comment

thanks for the replies,

actually it doesn't have a neck pickup. just a bridge pickup and 1 volume knob. how cool is that?
                    anyways, i actually found the pickups to be not "that" bad. they sound like an EMG 81 without all the sterileness and soundign the same. isn't it brighter with no tone pot? in that case, im not really sure about the JB in it, but thats whats going in my other charvel. i think i may need something with more bass than the JB to balance with the no tone pot?

Comment

in that axe id go distortion all the way, screaming tone baby

Comment

Yes, it will be brighter w/out a tone pot ...
                        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

IMO the Distortion sounds more ‘80s in the neck than the FS…
                          Psychic Horns

Comment

for the 80's metal tone? hmm i'd say a dimarzio super distortion =P

the pups are jackson c21ish-something .. it's a passive pup

Comment

thanks guys!
                              today i bought a Custom for my good charvel, and if i like it then i'll buy it for the other charvel.

Comment

Working...
                              X