SPDT and DPDT switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPDT and DPDT switches

whats the difference(i know what they stand for, but what is different about how they're used?)

the difference is that a DPDT lets you do two things instead of one when you throw the switch ... i can give you an example from my own guitar mod .... i have the neck pup on one side of the DPDT and the bridge pup on the other side ... so with 1 flip of the mini toggle, i can control the split of both pickups .. if i wouldve used SPDT switches, i'd have needed one for each pup

i hope this helps

cheers,
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

ok, thanks thats what i assumed, but i wasnt sure if there was something else, thanks

Comment

AFAIK:

D.....E.....F
        G.....H.....I

A Double pole double throw has 2 arms, so in the above switch it could have one from D to E and another one from G to H, and when you switch it it swaps to E to F and H to I... or some DPDTs have one from D to E and one from H to I, and swithc to E to F and G to H.

Hope this makes sense!

A single throw, on the other hand, I think looks like this:

|.......|
        B.....C
        ....A...
        ....|....

A single pole double throw switch has one 'arm' that has one end fixed, and the other can swing between 2 contacts.... so the signal can go from A to B, OR from A to C
        Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

Comment

yeah ... stefan is kinda describing an "on-on-on" 3-position DPDT switch ...

there is also "on-off-on", 3-way DPDTs and "on-off", 2-way DPDTs

all are pretty useful in varying situations

cheers,
          t4d
          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

I don't know why, but my 'quick reply' dissapeared.

That was supposed to be an on/on DPDT, like I have on my series/parralel switch and how a lot of stompbox switches work. A DPTP on/on/on would be even more useful, and let me have series/split/parralel wit hthe same wiring, but I can't seem to find one locally.
            Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

Comment

Working...
            X