AirZone and what in Wolfgang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AirZone and what in Wolfgang

Having the luxury of owning 2 wolfgangs, I'm going to rod one of them. I have an AirZone for the bridge and am looking for a pup for the neck. I was leaning towards an Air Norton. I play a lot of progressive rock and have an interest in fusion. I play a POD Pro thru a 100 watt Carvin Stereo Tube Power Amp thru 2 - 2/12 cabs, with a gr-30 guitar synth.

Anyone have any experience with this combo in a wolfie or other guitar please chime in.

Thanks!!
    Walt

ive never played them in a wolfgang but i used to have the az/an combo and they worked well together, not my favorite tone but sounded good

Comment

Tonally they are a good match.
      But bear in mind one thing- the Air Zorton is quite powerful for a neck pickup (although it manages to stay fairly clean). If you want to play a wide variety of music, and want some good jazzy/ clean/ lower output tones, then i would use a lower output neck pickup like a 59, or dimarzio paf or virtual paf. This gives a little bit more versatility, but will still balance well with the AZ. I have the AZ/59 combination in one of my guitars and it works brillliantly.

On the other hand, if you are mostly going to play heavier stuff, and dont need the cleanest of clean tones, the the air norton will do fine in the neck.
      I would guess the air norton has roughly the same output as the stock neck wolfgang pikcup, so just consider whether you want something as powerful.
      Ernie Ball Axis Sport (SD EVH 78/ Alnico 2 Pro)
      Ernie Ball Silhouette Special
      Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Dimarzio Air Zone/ SD 59)
      Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday neck and bridge)
      Fender American Series Telecaster
      Marshall Jubilee 2554 combo
      Marshall JMP Master Volume Combo
      Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20

Comment

Have you thought about a Steve's Special in the neck?
        Not a 5150 Kramer, but a 5149 1/2 Shamer
        www.bigmouthbetty.com

Comment

Just try different pups until you find some that you are happy with
          Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
          When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
          Red Devils - 1% all the way!
          Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
          Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Shnook
            Have you thought about a Steve's Special in the neck?
            I have a Steve's special but I believe it would be too hot for the neck. I also have thought about a PAF Pro in the neck with the AirZone, but I'm not quite sure yet.

Comment

Originally posted by walt
              I have a Steve's special but I believe it would be too hot for the neck. I also have thought about a PAF Pro in the neck with the AirZone, but I'm not quite sure yet.
              BREED neck model this pup has more clarity and P.a.fness than a air norton.
              many like it more than a Air norton

Comment

Working...
              X