X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STRATDELUXER97
    replied
    Re: Custom/59 hybrid!?

Cool...Check out some sound samples from Nast on the hybrid...Thanks Nast!

Leave a comment:

• STRATDELUXER97
    replied

Originally posted by RG 2570
    I read you get two hybrids out of the 59b and the custom?
    one alnico II and one alnico 5 verison
    Yes,but the one that has the Custom's slug coil is the better pickup because your split tones are 7k via the Custom's bobbin...The second pickup has either the 59B or PGB slug coil at only around 4k or so...The second Hybrid variation is cool but it's split tones are pretty weak...The magnet you use is all a matter of taste really....I always use the A2 at this point because that's what Bachtorock(He turned us on to these mods)uses...

The tone is cool...I'd put it between a 59 tone and a CC but the mids aren't as out front like a CC...Great note articulation,good balance with a single coil in the middle and very usable and decent split tones and quack when used with the middle pickup in the 4th position...Even with the A2 pickup,this thing stays pretty clear...The end result is a series reading of around 11k or so...It solved alot of my problems between making the CC or the C5 to work right for me in one of my strats...I was going to go back to my PG+ with the A5 instead of the Hybrid,but so far the Hybrid stays...Guess I really do like it...The lows are strong and tight like using an A5 magnet,but the highs are just slightly rolled back and not piercing(great for a bright strat)..The mids are EQd like a 59 and not too middy at all like a CC or a JB...The pickup also has pretty decent output at 11k but it's not impossible to adjust it's balance with your middle and neck positions...Don't expect phenomenal split tones with most fullsized humbuckers because it just doesn't happen...This pickup is very versatile and covers alot of styles and has a nice articulate clean tone...Again,it's not for everyone,but there are quite a few of us using this pickup..Hopefully the others will chime in also for you?

Do a search under "Bachtorock" for more info on the Hybrid...it's not for everybody but it's worth trying as long as you're patient and good with a soldering iron...You have to unscrew bobbins from each pickup also and possibly remove a magnet but it's not too awfully hard...

John
    Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 06-23-2004, 09:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RG 2570
    replied

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
    I use 2 versions of the Hybrid....Simply...You need two pickups to make 1 hybrid...You use the slug side of any custom pickup and mate it to either the screw bobbin side of either the PGB or the 59B bobbin...You start with an A2 magnet and adjust for flavor from there..It's just a matter of resoldering the wires together between the custom slug bobbin and the 59B or PGB...It's pretty easy or send it and I'll do it for you...

John
    I read you get two hybrids out of the 59b and the custom?
    one alnico II and one alnico 5 verison

Leave a comment:

• Fatty
    replied

I'm pretty curious about these as well.

Leave a comment:

• papersoul
    replied

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
    I use 2 versions of the Hybrid....Simply...You need two pickups to make 1 hybrid...You use the slug side of any custom pickup and mate it to either the screw bobbin side of either the PGB or the 59B bobbin...You start with an A2 magnet and adjust for flavor from there..It's just a matter of resoldering the wires together between the custom slug bobbin and the 59B or PGB...It's pretty easy or send it and I'll do it for you...

John
    Thank you! What is the final result in tone and output???? So, it's an AII magent pup in the end?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• STRATDELUXER97
    replied

Originally posted by papersoul
    Does anyone have info on this pickup and how to make it? I hear great things!!

Thanks!

R

John

Leave a comment:

• papersoul
    started a topic Custom/59 hybrid!?

Custom/59 hybrid!?

Does anyone have info on this pickup and how to make it? I hear great things!!

Thanks!

R
Working...
X