banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The higher/closer the pickup is = more output and thicker tone??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The higher/closer the pickup is = more output and thicker tone??

hey guys,
    would the bridge pickup being higher/closer to the strings mean it would achieve more output and thicker tone??

I know that it would increase the "gain" a bit more, but what about the tone??

thanks,
    Duke
    www.dukeofmetal.tk

Re: The higher/closer the pickup is = more output and thicker tone??

Originally posted by Duke of Metal
    hey guys,
    would the bridge pickup being higher/closer to the strings mean it would achieve more output and thicker tone??

I know that it would increase the "gain" a bit more, but what about the tone??

thanks,
    Duke
    There is a "sweet spot" where the the balance of output, highs, lows and mids all are balanced. Past that point, as you get a pickup close to the strings, the output will increase and so will the treble. But if you pull the pickup too far away from that sweet spot, the output will decrease and so will the bass and thickness. It is all dependant upon the guitar, the amp, the player and your taste.

But as a rule, some pickups like to be closer to the strings than others. A low output pickup might sound weak until you get it close to the strings. Then the treble might start to kick in too much.

On the other hand, a higher output pickup might be too loud and force you to back it off the strings which may make it darker or less "lively" than you want.

This whole pickup thing is a big exercise in experimentation.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
    buggjuice.net
    MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Yes, moving the pickup closer to the strings will thicken up the tone, and aid in pinch harmonics, etc.. ( I'm talking Humbucker here ). Having certain single coils TOO close to the strings can result in the magnets actually pulling the string out of tune. I'm a Les Paul Player, and I set my Bridge pickup just under the strings, with the Guitar fretted at the last fret. I set my neck pickup just flush with the top of the mounting ring. This is just my set-up, however. Some use other methods. But generally speaking, the closer to the strings on a Humbucker, the thicker the tone. ........... ( Just for the record, I use old Gibson PAF's mostly, and setting them closer to the strings is essential to MY tone. )
      Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I have all mine fairly low, both singles and humbuckers.
        I do not like the lack of dynamics when they gets too close, plus the air in the sound goes away.

Comment

hey guys,
          Thanks for the info. I am talking here about a Humbucker in a Lespaul also. Duncan Custom SH-5. I just wanted to check..

I am gonna try to sorta crank my amp a bit tomorrow and see what I can get.

thanks,
          Duke
          www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

Just play around with the pickup height, and find what works for you....
            Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Originally posted by 59paul
              Just play around with the pickup height, and find what works for you....
              Will do that for sure

by the way.. if I like how the High Strings (e,b,g) sound, do I then just sorta fool around with the Low Strings end of the pickup?? Or that would also could affect the high strings?

thanks,
              Duke
              www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                I have all mine fairly low, both singles and humbuckers.
                I do not like the lack of dynamics when they gets too close, plus the air in the sound goes away.
                True dat.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                buggjuice.net
                MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Duke of Metal
                  Will do that for sure

by the way.. if I like how the High Strings (e,b,g) sound, do I then just sorta fool around with the Low Strings end of the pickup?? Or that would also could affect the high strings?

thanks,
                  Duke
                  Well, you can either adjust the pole pieces on the low strings, or lower that end of the pickup. A lot of Players will adjust the pole pieces to reflect the curvature of the fingerboard. I personally set my pickup level, then if I want any adjustment, I'll adjust the pole pieces for the individual strings. ...
                  Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Yep. Follow what these boys said!

I also have a SH-5 in my main LP, and I'd have to say I found the sweet spot. Not sure on the measurements, but when you get it too close to the strings - it'll start to mud out on you and you'll definetely lose the smooth "airy" texture Rid was speaking of. Definetely fool around with this, because unlike many things, this is one of those without a "correct" answer. Just follow your ears!

Comment

Let your ears guide your screwdriver, my friend!
                      Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
                      ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
                      ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
                      ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
                      ESP KH-1
                      LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
                      BC Rich KKV
                      Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
                      Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

HBs: I set the bridge just as 59LP described. Then I play with the screw pieces to retrieve the punch that might have been lost in the bridge. In the neck, I start very low I keep on raising it until I hit the magic spot: I play E7 on the 5ths position with low E open. That is Mery Had a Little ... SRV tune I mean. There the HB sounds quite clear when it is low, but after a certain point it starts to become blur. I can hear it pretty well in that E7. It is exactly that spot, just prior to the neck HB becoming blur, that I am using.

Then the neck and bridge might not give the most quack in the middle position with all the vols on 10. But who cares, thats why LPs have this great invention of 2 vol 2 tone wiring!

B
                        Last edited by dr.barlo; 06-24-2004, 03:12 AM.
                        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

hey guys.. thanks for the info. I fooled around with the height adjustment on the Low strings side and I got a pretty cool sweet spot now.

I guess i'll keep it on that for now and see how it sounds in a band situation.

thanks,
                          Duke
                          www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

I do not care for a pup set real high to the strings sounds muddy
                            you should at least keep a pup a 16th" away when fretting the last fret
                            i set mine at 3/32"

Comment

You have the best advice: try it till you get what you like. But what do you listen for? One thing: "pulling the strings out of tune" This is important, and you might not notice that the magnets in the pickups are affecting the sound because you have them adjusted just a little too low to hear the detuning, but maybe not quite low enough to get a good sound.

Try this. Go somewhere very quiet with your guitar. No amplifier! Your solid body electric guitar is an acoustic instrument (not a very good one, it is true!), and you need to hear it as an acoustic instrument. Adjust the pickups lower than you would ever use them. Play it for quite a while until you understand how it sounds. Also look at the strings carefully in a good light, especially the number one E string near the neck pickup. Notice how the string looks after you pick it (fret the 12th).

Now adjust the neck pickup as close to the strings as possible without hitting. Play, especially near the 12th fret. If your pickup magnets are strong enough (strat, some humbuckers, all pickups claiming strong magnets) you will hear a single string (try both E strings) beat against itself. Even if the magnets are not very strong, the guitar will sound different in a more subtle way.

If you have a strong effect, try picking and looking at the 1E string (12th fret). It might appear to hop or bounce.

This effect is not easy to understand, but this is what I think is happening. You can think of vibration of the string towards the pickup and across the pickup as different modes. If you start a string vibrating in one mode, it will soon go in the other as well. Modes couple! The magnets pull the string towards the pickup; they do not affect vibration across the pickup very much. So one mode is pulled out of tune, the other is not, the modes couple, and you hear both beat together. Not good!

So now you need find out how far down to adjust the neck pick up. It is good to know the distance for a small effect, and no effect at all. The other pickups usually have less "pulling" effect, but you should play with them as well.

Now go to your amp and play clean. Try to hear the acoustic sound of your guitar through the pickup and amp. Adjust the pickup heights; this is not the same thing as playing acoustic! Maybe even when you play clean, you overload the preamp stages a bit, and so the pickup height matters because the output level changes the harmonics made in the preamp stage. Now try with effects. You might want to adjust again.

Comment

Working...
                              X