classic stack users - is this right.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• classic stack users - is this right.

I just installed a set of classic stacks in my strat, there is a difference in volume when in positions 2 and 4. Is this right? Each pickup sounds great when selected on its own, but when in between positions, I dunno?. 2 and 4 just sound weaker, i guess. (like the intro to pink floyds, wish you were here).

Im pretty happy the wiring is correct.

Is this because they are similar to humbuckers? Any help would be great. Thanks.
    Last edited by drjones; 10-28-2006, 04:58 AM.

Re: classic stack users - is this right.

If it's a complete set, the middle may be wired out of phase purposely to facilitate hum cancelling if you're coil cutting them. You may be experiencing the normal notch position quack, in which case learn to love it. Or you may have to reverse the hot and ground on the middle pickup, because your middle pickup is out of phase. That's such an easy experiment, I'd recommend doing it right now just to see. It'll either get better (so then you were out of phase) or much worse, and much tinnier. (which means put it back and learn to love it!)

Comment

I know what you're talking about on the 2 and 4. Mine was/is the same way. At first it bugged me but now I realize how versatile my guitar truly is. For example try a run of Wipeout in the 2 position, it sounds right on.
      Soundcloud

Comment

Thanks,
        I was more worried that I had installed them wrong. It is a matched set. They just sound different to the stock pickups, and i thought even though I had checked and rechecked, and checked again the wiring diagram I was worried that I had done somehting wrong. If thats how they sound I'll get used to them. They are already a massive improvement on the stock pickups, and quiet.

Comment

The more I play them, the more I worry about positions 2 and 4, is it normal for there to be a noticable volume drop? they do sound thin. Doesn't SRV play a lot between the neck and middle pickups? Im not even close to that fat sound SRV gets. What gives?

The neck and middle sound a little "boomy". What have I done wrong? Every review of the stacks says that they are what a strat is supposed to sound like without the noise.
          Last edited by drjones; 10-28-2006, 06:48 PM.

Comment

If you don't mind soldering, flip the hot and ground of the middle pickup. You'll know instantly if you've fixed it or made it worse. You're either in phase or out of phase, and since no one is there to listen to the guitar, we can't diagnose it. But if your middle pickup is out of phase, then your in between sounds will be very thin, lower output, and squeaky. So just try it and within minutes you'll know. You can simply put it back if it makes it worse.

Comment

Can the middle pickup be out of phase and still sound "full" when selected on its own? if its out of phase is that why in between positions sound week?

Comment

When I installed the set into my strat (hwy 1 if that makes a difference) each of the stock pups had a white and black wire, the white connected to the 5 way switch and the black to ground. Following the instructions that came with the set, for basic wiring, I attached the white wires to the swich, the black and bare wires to ground (back of volume pot), and insulated each of the red wires.

So if middle pickup is out of phase I should swap the white and black wires? ie black to switch and white to ground?

I don't mind soldering, its just the reassembly of the guitar that is a pain in the A&*(^!!!!! especially after I spent a couple of hours setting it back up again!!. Anyway the price we pay for good sound I suppose. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by drjones View Post
                  The more I play them, the more I worry about positions 2 and 4, is it normal for there to be a noticable volume drop? they do sound thin. Doesn't SRV play a lot between the neck and middle pickups? Im not even close to that fat sound SRV gets. What gives?

The neck and middle sound a little "boomy". What have I done wrong? Every review of the stacks says that they are what a strat is supposed to sound like without the noise.
                  Its been awhile since I've seen one , but dont those have black,white,red, green a bare wire? Put Black to the switch, green and bare together to ground and red and white together and tape off.
                  Last edited by kjrocks; 10-29-2006, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Frank,
                    you were spot on. Just flipped the middle pickup leads around, now all is well. I just don't understand why instructions didnt say to do that. Seeing as they were a set and all. Anyway, thanks all for your help.

Comment

Hi Guys,

To clear a couple of things up:
                      The pickups in question here are the Classic Stack 'Plus' (not the older Classic Stacks which had the 4-conductor wire). The reason your middle pickup was out of phase with the other pickups is that it was wound wrong at the factory. The winding procedure for that pickup is a bit different from the way we have traditionally wound coils here, and on an early batch of those, the middle pickups ended up out of phase. The good news is that swapping the wires is a 100% fix, and everything should be fine from here. Sorry for the confusion---but nice job for arriving at the correct solution!
                      Scott Miller
                      New Products/Technical Guy/Something Something
                      Seymour Duncan

Comment

how can you tell if you got an out of phase set? mine were ordered directly from the factory.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I would like to post an update here on this, though I am not the OP. Yes, I know it's a very old thread but this applies.

It seems the middle pickup being wound out of phase is still happening. I just installed a new neck and middle Classic Stack Plus and position 2 with the neck and middle is very thin. Guess I'll have to open her up again to flip the leads.

I followed this diagram, which is also included with the pickups in the jewel case. All the white leads to the switch, black and bare to ground.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/images...s_5W_1V_1T.jpg
                          Last edited by ErikH; 09-18-2021, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X