• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SG pu advice pls

Hi folks!

Whaddya think (since I don't know all that much about pickups):

For my SG: Pearly Gates / bridge - Custom-Custom / neck
    I play very hard bluesy Trower-ish rock music, but we also jump off into fusion land too, occassionally.

It reads like a great combo - I definitely want the PG in the bridge for the type of music I play.

Any thoughts?

thanks so much!

Re: SG pu advice pls

My thought is that the Custom Custom, which you propose putting in the neck position, is significantly higher in output than the PG at the bridge, and will be a lot louder. It's conventional to use a higher output pickup at the bridge than at the neck (to compensate for the string vibration being weaker at the bridge than at the neck). But who says you have to be conventional?

How about a pair of PGs?

Comment

CC in the neck? Then I'd say forget playing clean chords in the neck!

Why don't you swap the bridge and the neck. That's what I am using (a CC and a PGb in the neck) on one of my guitars, and am fond of the tones I am getting.

B
      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Swap them around: CC bridge, PG neck. Or, if you want to keep the PG at the bridge, get something with lower output for the neck.

It would be a major pain in the ass trying to balance a CC-PG-setup.
        "Dave, what are your thoughts on AIDS?"
        "You're talking about sex, right? Hell, i don't need no aids!" -Dave Mustaine

Comment

..Rob, have you tried a PG, AlnicoII, or Seth in the neck yet? ..I agree, the CC(in the neck) will be a lot louder than the PG(bridge) & most likely 'muddy'!
          A link to the VERY LIMITED (Ladies) OPETH G-String!! ..Act Now!!!:bigthumb:
          This black g-string underwear has the famous "O" logo that Opeth has been using for some time now. The logo is silk screened onto the g-string and looks very sharp in yellow against the black field. ..These are a one-size-fits-most.

Comment

I'd suggest a PG set over the CC in the neck as well.
            www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
            www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
            http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

A PG set would probably please you quite nicely. Wouldnt put a CC in the neck though, especially not with a pearly gates in the bridge.
              My Soundclick page.

Comment

just buy a PG and CC......try em the way you originally wanted......if you dont dig it, just switch em around.....pretty simple
                http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                >cord<
                1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Robb, try a Custom 5 with either a 59, PG, or Jazz in the neck, both nickelcovered. You'd love those in an SG. The C-5 retains that great classic rock bridge tone, but has more guts than most vintage humbuckers.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Russ
                    ..Rob, have you tried a PG, AlnicoII, or Seth in the neck yet? ..I agree, the CC(in the neck) will be a lot louder than the PG(bridge) & most likely 'muddy'!
                    I seem to recall someone telling me this combo is pretty nice (the Alnicoll and the PG) SOoooo..I'll try that! Or maybe teh '59...yeeesh - too much stuff on the menu - I'm just a stock pu guy....!

Comment

Originally posted by GoMano
                      yeeesh - too much stuff on the menu - I'm just a stock pu guy....!
                      You obviously spend too much time playing your guitars and not enough taking them to bits.

Comment

SG ? Gibson or Epi or ?

A '59 combo does wonders in an Epi, while it may sound too bassy in a Gibson.
                        Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Working...
                        X