Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading a Yamaha Pacifica

Hi,

I have a Yamaha Pacifica 121. I have a really nice example and would like to upgrade it. I was thinking of putting some Fender USA single coil pickups in the neck and middle. Has anyone done this? How does it sound? My concern is that poles may be out of alignment as the Yamaha's look closer together.

Alternatively I was consider duckbusters. Do these fit?

In the bridge I would like a humbucker with a Gibson SG style sound. Any suggestion?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Regards,
    Wayne

Re: Upgrading a Yamaha Pacifica

the fender single coils should fit fine. Dont worry if the pole pieces are slightly out of line - you will not notice a difference in your sound.

As to the question which pickups should you get, can you tell us:
    1. what type of music you play
    2. what you find wrong with the current pickups

One of the main things you will have to consider is output (power). The stock pickups have a fairly traditional (low) output. You may like this, or you may want something more powerful, especially if you are into heavy stuff.

For an SG type sound, the Seymour Duncan Custom 5 and JB may be worth a look for a start, but there are certainly others.
    Ernie Ball Axis Sport (SD EVH 78/ Alnico 2 Pro)
    Ernie Ball Silhouette Special
    Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Dimarzio Air Zone/ SD 59)
    Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday neck and bridge)
    Fender American Series Telecaster
    Marshall Jubilee 2554 combo
    Marshall JMP Master Volume Combo
    Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20

Comment

Originally posted by zak

As to the question which pickups should you get, can you tell us:
      1. what type of music you play
      2. what you find wrong with the current pickups

For an SG type sound, the Seymour Duncan Custom 5 and JB may be worth a look for a start, but there are certainly others.
      Thanks for the great reply.

I play a great variety of rock e.g. chillis, foo fighters, nirvana but also some blues. I like the single coil/humbucker setup as a lot of my music switches between soft/heavy. However when I am going for heavy I like the Gibson SG/Les Paul sound, hence the question re:humbuckers. The Yamaha humbucker is actually quite good but would prefer something with a bit more guts. The custom 5 sounds like a good option.

I find the single coil pups on the Yamaha to be very weak. I like the fender tone and on the plus side, they are quite easy to pickup second hand cheapily.

Thanks again

Waz

Comment

For the bridge I'd say either a Custom or Custom 5 would suit you well.
        Originally posted by The Minstrel
        Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

the jb rocks in the pacifica bridge position....

Comment

I'd go with a CC in the bridge position and a pair of Vintage Staggered pickups from Duncan or a pair of Vintage Rails if you are worried about string spacing.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
            X