MusicMan Replacement systems for OLP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MusicMan Replacement systems for OLP?

New to the list and to the Bass. Hello! I've been playing guitar for a while and recently bought an OLP 5 string bass to fool around on. The guys I play with encoraged me to try some of our stuff on bass (we didn't have a bass player) and I picked up on it pretty fast. The tone is fine for hacking but not as nice as I'd like it to be and the electronics in the OLP aren't very good for live / recording. I've searched the forums but haven't found an answer as to which SD pickups to buy. Other forums list the MusicMan replacements for the OLP (no I can't afford a Stingray) but SamAsh can't tell me what part number is the correct one. I want to replace all the electronics and go active. What part number do I need and will the pick up fit in the OLP? SMB 5, 5D, 55?? I figure I'll have to rout for the battery tray and make mods to the pick guard.

Thanks!

Jim

Re: MusicMan Replacement systems for OLP?

A bump while I do a little research.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

i have a 5 string olp bass that i put a smb5a in. the mounting is a little different cause the olp pup has the little semi-circle flanges on it like a 4 string mm pup but the 5 string mm's dont, so the duncan pup doesnt. not a big deal and it sounds killer

Comment

Robert and Jeremy,

Thanks for posting a response. Jeremy, how did the pickup fit with out the tabs? Did you have to modify the pick guard? Also did you install any of the pre amp and tone components or keep the original pots? I find that I get a lot of static from the bass and the tone pot really doesn't alter the tone the way you'd think. It's more of an "on - off" pot not a gradual change.

So far I've found that I can use part number 11402-32 which I believe is the Alnico pickup and 11993-21 for the electronics which has three pots where one is both bass and treble so I don't have to drill for 4 pots. Adding a battery tray isn't that big of a deal.

Cheers,

Jim

Comment

Hey

I have a Duncan Musicman circuit, with three knobs, like the one you're looking for, that I might be willing to sell. PM me if you're interested.
          There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Comment

Do the Duncan PUs have more thump, punch, and attitude than the even the original Music Man? I can see how they would drastically improve the OLP where in order to cut cost the pickup is one of the places that suffers. This is real evident in the entry level Fender basses and clones where a pickup change makes a HUGE difference.
            "We are the music-makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." (Arthur O'Shaughnessy. 1844–1881)
            "If you can't make it happen with 4, a 5 is wasted!"

Comment

I ordered the SD replacement and should have it in another week or two. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

hey, can you guys help me with this?

I have a crappy electra Jazz bass copy that sounds like crap and plays like a dream. I'd like to put a SD Music Man Stingray Pickup in. I was going to go cheap and do it without the wiring harness, but that doesn't look like an option for this pickup. My question is: is there any way I can install this pickup with just volume, high and low knobs? If I have to use the wiring harness, is it flexible enough for me to put it in the existing jazz bass rout? (if I ended up using the wiring harness, I'd use the three band tone circuit, put the extra pot in where the jack is now and drill a hole in the side for the input jack) Or is the wiring harness rigid, designed to fit the MM pickguard and no other?

Thanks for any help, I know this is kind of a retarded project but...

best,
                Mishka

Comment

Puting a MM HB in a J-bass is a huge undertaking. You need to route a serious amount of wood in the "sweet" spot, which falls right where your J-bass' guard ends... so, you'd need a custom cut guard for the best tone, too. I suggest just throwing a set of Duncan J-bass p/u in it, personally, I think you can't go wrong with the Duncan Vintages (SJB-1s) or if you want more bite the 1/4 pounders (SJB-3s) and the hots for more low end (SJB-2s) that's just my .02

As to the OLP. I'd suggest getting an Active MM replacement with the Alnico II (if it exists) for a warmer tone at the start. Then run it through the pre-amp that most suits you. It's a pretty striaght forward wiring, but, if you're new, you don't want to start with active pickup wiring. So, take it in somewhere.

And as to the "MM pickup vs SD pickup," it's a toss up. Some people prefer the bite of the MM and others the thump of the SD. But, one thing I've noted is that EVERY SD bass humbucker I've heard has more thump that most Musicman pickups I've heard.
                  You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

Working...
                  X