Anyone tried the H-S-S set-up in strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried the H-S-S set-up in strat

What will the over all change be from stock single coils In a MIM strat with RW fretboard?

Re: Anyone tried the H-S-S set-up in strat

I had a strat set up with a Screaming Demon HB(split in the #4 pos)/Stock/Vintage Rails. It was ok, but very unstrat like sounding. The only strat sounding position was the neck and neck/middle sound. That said, it was still a very usable set up. Don't know if that answered your question, but it was a bit vauge.
    '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

It would be quiter (less feedback) with a bridge humbucker, with a little more of a middy warm characteristic (generally). A bit less "squack" depending on the pup. I've tried the Tex-Mex (stock on Mexican Fat-Strat), the Pearly Gates plus (awfully shrill, no mids, pissed me the hell off), and the SD Custom Custom, Custom 3, and Custom 4.
      My favorite of all bridge pups in a Strat is the Custom 3 (CC with A3 magnet).
      Hope this helps. But what type of sound are you looking for?

Comment

With SSL or APS single coils in the neck & middle and the bridge pickup split in position #2 (bridge & middle) to leave the coil closer to the bridge hot, the only sound that changes much from an all-single-coil strat is #1 - the bridge alone. At least with a Custom 5 in the bridge, IME and IMHO only...

Based on my limited experience with bridge single coils, most standard strat single coils are either too shrill, too weak, or both in the bridge position. The right humbucker gives you a much more useful - but not strat - sound for the bridge pickup alone. Which one is "right" depends on how bright your guitar, rig, etc. are, and what tone you're going for.

There are single coils like the S-D Antiquities, Lindy Fralin's, and the S-D Quarter Pounds that are hotter and fatter with more warmth that a lot of guys like and use in the bridge position too. Others like the single-coil-sized humbuckers (not my personal favorites, but that's why there are so many pickups, guitars, etc.).

Not even 2 cents tonite...

Chip
        Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
        Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
        Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
        SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
        SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
        "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

I agree with Fresh Start. Even with a bridge humbucker in a Strat, you will still have your classic Strat sounds in the other 4 positions.

Comment

I think a humbucker could be stratty, but not anywhere near the same degree as a good set of SC's
            • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
            • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
            • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
            • G&L Tribute Comanche
            • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
            • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
            • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Do you like useing the bridge single?

If not, what do you have to loose by putting a humbucker in there?

Personally, I have a humbucker in both my Strats (DiMarzio Super Distortion in on, Duncan JB in the other). It sounds good and heavy, but has a more focused sound than my Les Paul. That, and I like to have access to the neck single coil sound.

Other than that, your questions kinda broad, which makes it hard to answer. Perhalps it would help if you told use what sound you were looking for, then someone might be able to point you in the right direction.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I wasn't really looking for a specific tone or how it would sound with my style, just how it sounds in general.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X