banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people talk more about Dimarzios here than Duncans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people talk more about Dimarzios here than Duncans?

I swear, it seems like more than half this board is dedicated to Dimarzio. Isn't there something not quite correct about that? Maybe it's just me, but I feel like advertising on a forum for the greatest competition of said forum doesn't seem like the right thing.

Re: Why do people talk more about Dimarzios here than Duncans?

half this board?

i dont knwo about that, but people are more open minded here as to what tone they want. if they cant find that tone with a duncan, try dimarzio, or emg, or whatever.
    i use both but i like them equally, i have a super distortion and i havd a Custom. i love both, they both sound great so im not complaining

Comment

I didn't think they did, to be honest .
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

ya somewhat it seems like that, but what can you do. EMG, dimarzio, and otehrs dont have a forum....me im a duncan user of course!
        Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Dimarzios get talk on here but not at the expense of Duncans. I don't know who exactly is "advertising"....sounds more like people are recommending the right pickup for the job rather than recommending something that may not be right for someone or to their taste.

Personally, I would rather take advice on here from someone who has used both brands because they offer very different lines of pickups rather than someone trying to shove one brand down my throat trying to make a square peg fit in a circle hole.

Comment

I've been on other guitar-related forums which have nothing to do with any specific pickup manufacturer. Of all the polls I see, people prefer SD's to any other aftermarket pickup maker out there. Also, I believe B2D said that the vast majority of people buying aftermarket pickups at GC buy SD. Being that SD apparently has the advantage over everyone else, I can't imagine that they think if someone is exposed to a DiMarzio or EMG that they'll just forget about SD.

Comment

There are some occasional Dimarzio threads, but I wouldn't say they are in the majority. The fact that Duncan forbids bashing the competition on their message board speaks volumes as to what kind of company they really are.

Ryan
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by JSS
                Maybe it's just me, but I feel like advertising on a forum for the greatest competition of said forum doesn't seem like the right thing.
                I think the fact that they tollerate it speaks volumes about the kind of company Seymour Duncan is.
                || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Also, another way to look at it is from a sales standpoint where it's good to acknowledge your competitors. One thing I've learned is that pushing the wrong product down a customers throat isn't the best thing necessarily just because it's your product.

Why shove a pickup down someones throat that may not be right for them....they're gonna end up ditching it anyway and lose trust in your company.

Case and point is that Duncan really only has two humbuckers that are mostly mids with the treble and bass cut back...the Custom Custom and the Active Metal Live Wire. One is fairly low output and one is extremely high output not to mention active. What if someone wants a pickup with a good dose of mids but with a ceramic mag and a good amount of output but not insane output??

Well Duncan doesn't make one....why wouldn't you recommend a Dimarzio instead of recommending something that the person isn't going to be happy with and then that person might go around saying that "Duncans suck...blah blah blah" instead of "Duncans aren't really the pickup I'm looking for".

I see this time and time again on here not to mention that some people don't understand a particular pickup doesn't sound the same in all guitars and other pickups/brands might fit the bill.

Case and point is that I have two super strats....one with an ebony fretboard and one with rosewood. The JB sounds shrill and awful in the ebony boarded one...way too bright. On the other hand it sounds perfect in the rosewood boarded guitar. For the ebony I had to get something with the treble cut way back but with about the same output. None of the other Duncans fit the bill...I ended up with the Super 3 in that guitar....cause that's what worked.

I also hear time and time again, "well this company's pickups suck." Why? "Oh I just dont' like the company"......WTF??

Yeah, that's an unbiased opinion I'll trust.....

Comment

Originally posted by JSS
                    I swear, it seems like more than half this board is dedicated to Dimarzio. Isn't there something not quite correct about that? Maybe it's just me, but I feel like advertising on a forum for the greatest competition of said forum doesn't seem like the right thing.
                    Huh? Sorry, but gotta raise the flag on this one. I think you may be confusing comparison with advertising. What is written here is for the most part by it's members and not by DiMarzio or SD ad-men.

Last edited by midnite_man; 06-25-2004, 08:11 PM.

Comment

In the early sixties Link Ray took natural tube distortion to the next level by slitting his speakers with a razor blade.

Then came the germanium transistor fuzz box which was replaced by the FET transistor fuzz in the beginning of '70s.

Simutaneously Jim Marshall went on tour with Hendrix and modified Jimi's amps to his liking.

Earlier Lanie built an amp for Toni Iomi with 2 gain stages to the power amp and the output of those 2 gain stages feeding another 2 gain stages (=4 gains) feeding the power amp.

Simutaneously Duane Allman was having his Marshall 4 gain modded.

Hence, we should call the first factory hot rodded marshalls the Hendrex Mod and the JCM 900 the Duane Mod and no one produces the Iomi Mod amp, although those amps show up on eBay and go for a pretty penny.

In the early '90s Jerry Cantrell hit the Seattle thing with the JB and a pre designated what would be the JCM 800 (Hendrix Mod) amp.

For the first time the PU played as important a role as the amp.

In '90 no one was making a Duane modded amp so the JB was it. Through the 90s, the JB through a Jimi modded or the first 800s was it.

Then came the anniversary Marshalls, the introduction of the 900 (the Duane Mod). Steve Morse was the first anniversary (900) I heard. He switched to Peavy VTMs after that (single chanel 900 copy).

So what happens after the advent of the 4 gain pre? SD custom type pickups. That PU coupled with a 4 gain pre...Now you don't have to say Duane Allman anymore. Duane works now and is representive of everything I just said.

To answer your question...Seymour has heard a lot of good music in his day, the cilia on his ear drums is left to what is remaining.

In the 80s he produced PUs that changed rock' n roll. Now that everyone produces Duane modded amps and we can have what we want without slitting our speakes with razor blades we want more mids.

SD does not make a #42 10k PU and DMZ does (they are producing a few in this range.

Seymour doesn't hear the need for this PU. I, like Seymour, don't hear the need for this PU but know I need it just to save what is left of my hearing.

I'm impressed with the young guys here that are asking for it early on, while they can still hear treble.

IMO that's all the fuss about DMZ these days.

Fortunately there's a little piece of America left (thanks to the SD forum) where someone can say why the shift has occured.

Please forgive me for being a fourm natzi in the past and thanks for the space. Later, Chuck
                      Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Lew, Doc, KMC, Tweed, Artie, Kent ...did I leave any thing out?
                        Last edited by Lightning; 06-26-2004, 05:15 AM.
                        Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning
                          Lew, Doc, KMC, Tweed, Artie, Kent ...did I leave any thing out?
                          Thanks for the history lesson and forgive my ignorance but I'm still a little confused by it.

When you imply(or at least I think you do) that Dimarzio and Duncan both fulfill different needs I think you're right for the most part.

However, I'm not clear on what those needs are in regard to treble/mids as you state them.

Also, I think Dimarzio did play a role in the 80's as well although admittedly not as much as Duncan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
                            There are some occasional Dimarzio threads, but I wouldn't say they are in the majority. The fact that Duncan forbids bashing the competition on their message board speaks volumes as to what kind of company they really are.

Ryan
                            +1
                            -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
                            I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

I think once if they do ever get a forum dimarzio users wont be here unless they use both companies pups.
                              dimarzio and duncan are night and day and cant be compared.
                              dimarzio's seem to be best for a heavily processed tone ala vai,petrucci,
                              whereas the duncan stuff tends to have a rawer tone,and more true
                              ever dimarzio i have tried has left me wanting something else,so i decided to go duncan now

Comment

Working...
                              X