banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fusion guys.. what pups are you using from SD or DiMarzio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion guys.. what pups are you using from SD or DiMarzio?

Hey guys,

While I am currently fairly decided on the pups that will be going in my three main guitars, I'd still like to get some feedback as far as what the jazz/rock fusion guys are using pup-wise, just in case my current plans sound like ca-ca once they go in. I tend to like artists like Brett Garsed, Shawn Lane, Greg Howe, Frank Gambale and similar artists. Anyone have any thoughts on Seymour or DiMarzio's that are in the fusion vein? Anyone have some clips of them using any of these in a fusion setting?

Thanks guys,
    Jeff

Re: Fusion guys.. what pups are you using from SD or DiMarzio?

frank gambale uses a JB but i know you dont like that, and all the others use dimarzio. and i think greg howe uses a JB in one of his ESP's. i use a Duncan Custom in my main axe and a super distortion in my other charvel and super d in my les paul(which i'll be replacing soon, it's kinda muddy)
    i have a clip, and i just posted it in the other thread

Comment

Thanks, dude. Like I said, I dug the clip but need to hit the sack and listen again with fresh ears tomorrow before I give my thoughts.

Thanks again,
      Jeff

Comment

I play fusioney stuff with either my Carvin DC127T or with my Paul. In the Carvin, I have an Alnico II Pro 'bucker at the neck and a CC at the bridge. Awesome cleans and big thick leads with OD at the bridge. In the Lester, I have a Pearly Gates set. They have an awesome PAF style voicing with enough sparkle to cut though the mix.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

how is the CC? im considering getting one

Comment

I have it in an all maple, neck thru axe with an ebony fretboard and a wilkinson trem. Big mids are the order of the day, but in this axe, the lows and the highs are very well represented. Harmonics jump off the fingerboard and leads are always fat. Theres an aggressive quality to it that I most people don't mention. I like it a lot.

Comment

soudns cool, do you got any clips?

Comment

Unfrtunately, no. I don't know how to post clips. Anybody have any tips on posting clips?

Comment

i know that back in his ibanez days, gambale used the dimarzio dual sound ... i love the sound he got with those on his solo record 'present for the future', the second chick corea elektrik band record, and the vital information records of that time

i play fusion-y stuff from time to time and really have no problem getting satisfying tone from my alnico II pro or '59 in the neck, and JB or C5 in the bridge ... i bet you could do the same

good luck
                  t4d
                  gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

Regs,
                    Jeff

Comment

Depending on the guitar it's going in, I like the SH-5 for Fusion.
                      -Butch Snyder
                      butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

Butch,

Care to expound on that thought? For instance, are you recommending the SH-5 for a mahogany guitar because it tends to balance out the darkness of the wood, or perhaps you are saying the SH-5 tends to be darker and goes better with a brighter wood like alder or maple?

OT: What part of Cincy are you in? I went to school at UC.. gradjeeated with a d-gree in electrical engineering in '95. Five of the worst years of my life are now forever staked to that city for me.

Comment

Personally, I like the SH-5 in any guitar...For a really bright guitar, I'll use the SH-11.

I live in Lebanon.
                          -Butch Snyder
                          butchsnyder.com

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks, Butch.

Lebanon... hmmm.. is that East of Cincy? I can't recall my geography of that area all that well. I'm originally from a little town called Canal Fulton up near Canton and Akron.

Later,
                            Jeff

Comment

Jeff,

Lebanon is half-way between Cincinnati and Dayton if you're taking I-75. You yake the Monroe exit to SR-63 and it's about 10 miles down that highway.

If you take I-71 north from Cincy, it's about 28 miles from downtown Cincy.
                              -Butch Snyder
                              butchsnyder.com

Comment

Working...
                              X