10k Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10k Question

Why do guy's older than 50 always ask me if my bridge PU is a 10k? Do they know something we don't. Actually I have a theory on this but am just curious if any one else does.
    Last edited by Lightning; 06-27-2004, 12:29 AM.
    Me and Neal's stage rig.

Re: 10k Question

Probably because back in the day, before we had all these high output pickups, 10k was considered a hot pickup.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

10k #42 is still hot.
      Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

because back in the day, they didnt have any hot pickups for the bridge, now when they're looking for a bridge pickup, they want something hot for soloing.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

The thing that gets me is that people still associate the DCR of a pup with it's output ... as if it's an accurate indictator ... now I might be able to see that if they bothered to ask what kinda mag you got in there, and what pole pieces ... but the DCR alone ... doesn't make sense to me.
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
            The thing that gets me is that people still associate the DCR of a pup with it's output ... as if it's an accurate indictator ... now I might be able to see that if they bothered to ask what kinda mag you got in there, and what pole pieces ... but the DCR alone ... doesn't make sense to me.
            Yeah, a lot of us have a tendency to do that, even though we know better. Resistance is only a general indication of output, there are a lot of other factors involved.

Ryan
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Actually I was using an 8.0 and 8.4 Burstbucker when asked. That's what makes me think that they were talking turns vs. DC resistance (8.4k is a little over 10k turns). The thing is they heard it. Like I'm just young enough to have grown up with some wimpy (low 7k) pat embossed gibby's and totally missed the gibby's produced between 56 and 63. But the guys over 50 know it when they hear it. Turns is a better indicator of out put and George Gruin and Bill Lawrence talked in terms of turns in the 70s both making references to the Gibson PAF having 5k turns per bobbin.
              I think a lot of people were figuring 1 ohm per turn until when DMZ came out with the PAF (70s) they said 10k turns but clock in at 8k ohms. I think the patent reads 5000 turns per coil. Fralin says he has an 8.8k ohm PAF and has seen a high 9. Most of the ones I've seen on eBay are in the mid 7s.
              Last edited by Lightning; 06-27-2004, 11:46 AM.
              Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Working...
              X