Strat Pickup Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat Pickup Question

Hi everyone...I have a 99' American Standard Strat and wonder if it has 'Delta Tone' system or TBX Tone control...also is the bridge pickup wound hotter than neck & middle ones?
    90' Heritage H-147 w/Schaller Golden 50's
    99' USA Fender Stratocaster
    96' Fender Montara Electric/Acoustic
    79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Re: Strat Pickup Question

If a then tone control has a center detent(click) it's a tBX, if it clicks past *9* then it's a delta tone (no-load), if it has no detent (click) it's a normal tone control. Can't say for sure, but most bridge pups now are wound a bit hotter than the middle and neck.
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I'm not sure exactly when they switched, but the TBX has a detent in the mid point of the pot, the Delta Tone system has a detent at "10" on the mid/ bridge tone pot, with a hotter bridge pickup.
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
        I'm not sure exactly when they switched, but the TBX has a detent in the mid point of the pot, the Delta Tone system has a detent at "10" on the mid/ bridge tone pot, with a hotter bridge pickup.
        Man Curly, we posted at the same time ...
        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

The Delta Tone system has been around for awhile...Probably the Delta Tone system..

John
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
            Man Curly, we posted at the same time ...
            yup, with the same answer!

my guess is that they went to the Delta Tone around '98-'99, but I looked on the FDP forum and couldn't find the exact time.
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
              yup, with the same answer!

my guess is that they went to the Delta Tone around '98-'99, but I looked on the FDP forum and couldn't find the exact time.
              I have every Frontline catalog and I Guess I could look in the catalogs for verification if need be?

John
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

According to http://www.mrgearhead.com/faq/guitarfaq.html, the TBX was replaced with the Delta-Tone in 1997. So it's more than likely that your 1999 American Standard has the Delta-Tone. But check for the detente at 5, just in case. And since it probably has the Delta-Tone, the bridge pickup should be wound hotter than the neck and middle single-coils.

Comment

Thanks everyone...I've checked and realised that at 10th point it clicks so there's the detent...it's a delta tone so the bridge should be hotter and I may lower it a bit more I think...
                  90' Heritage H-147 w/Schaller Golden 50's
                  99' USA Fender Stratocaster
                  96' Fender Montara Electric/Acoustic
                  79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Comment

Working...
                  X