electric guitar with nylon string?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric guitar with nylon string?

I love the sound of classical guitar. That warm sweet tone is priceless.

I am thinking about installing nylon-strings on the electirc guitar, but probably it won't work.

I can use electrified classical guitar (which I don't have) throgh guitar amp, but it doesn't have the tremolo unit that I use quite often.

Is there any pick-ups or system that can mimic nylon-strings?

Any suggestions?

Peace Out sc

Magnetic PUs won't work with nylon strings, you'll need piezo sensors in the bridge.

Concerning the tremolo, nylon strings are low tension strings and it might be a tricky job to tune the trem !
    At least, take away some springs !
    Pickups used :
    Les Paul: A2'59/'PGn ; SP90-1/SP90-1
    PRS Santana 1: Phat Cats
    PRS CU22 : SLb/'59n ; A2'59b/PGn ; Phat Cats
    PRS McCarty : A2P/A2P ; SL/SL
    PRS Singlecut : Ant/Ant ; SLb/59n
    PRS Modern Eagle : SLb/Antn
    PRS Hollow : Ant/Ant
    PRS Mc Soap : SP90-1/SP90-3 ;SP90-1/SP90-1/SP90-3
    PRS Mc Deluxe : Antiquity II minis
    Strat : APS1TwBg/APS1rwrp/APS1T; APS1TwBg/SSL1rwrp/SSL1;Antiquity II Set;Antiquity Texas Hot Set
    Teles : 59b/PGn ; Ant set ; JDb/SSL1rwrp/SSL1
    SG : SP90-1/SP90-1

Comment

Try the "Silent" guitar from Yamaha - can be strung with either nylon or steel strings. I have not played it myself but a few months Hamish Stewart had one and was getting some lovely sounds out of it. I cannot post the direct link to it as is not allowing me to do it - but go to the acoustic electricsection from the main link below:

Normans Guitars

Comment

Actually, Yamaha makes a steel string and nylon string version of their silent guitar. If you like the electric feel but want the sound of nylon, try the Roland VG-88. It sounded pretty close to a classical with one of it's presets. I'm sure that you can get closer by making your own patches.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

fender acousticaster or what was it.. try and string it with nylon strings.. it's got 3 individual piezo pups in the bridge (1 per 2 strings).. try to get your hands on one and check it.. maybe you could get some cool sounds from it

Comment

Yamaha do a couple of nylon variations of there AEX500. So there's no need to go silent!

Think Godin make a similiar sort of thing but I think they are more pricey.

http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha_europe/uk/10_musical_instruments/30_guitars_basses_amps/60_electric_guitars/10_electric_guitars/40_aex_guitars/50_AEX500N/index.html
            I only know 3 chords but I play 'em real good

Tokai 335 ~ Seth Lover
            MIJ Fender Stratocaster ~ SSL-1 Californian Set
            Gretsch Electromatic ~ GFS NYII & NYIII
            MIM Fender Tele ~ Quarter Pounder and Hot Tele Tapped
            Tokai MIJ SG - Gibson 57
            Tokai MIJ LP - Pearly Gates
            K.Yairi Gordon Giltrap Signature

Comment

Yamaha do a couple of nylon variations of there AEX500. So there's no need to go silent!

Think Godin make a similiar sort of thing but I think they are more pricey.

I only know 3 chords but I play 'em real good

Tokai 335 ~ Seth Lover
              MIJ Fender Stratocaster ~ SSL-1 Californian Set
              Gretsch Electromatic ~ GFS NYII & NYIII
              MIM Fender Tele ~ Quarter Pounder and Hot Tele Tapped
              Tokai MIJ SG - Gibson 57
              Tokai MIJ LP - Pearly Gates
              K.Yairi Gordon Giltrap Signature

Comment

I think the pickups (being magnetic coils) need a metallic object moving through their magnetic field to get the AC action going. Enough physics?
                Originally posted by Scott_F
                On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

I think "piezo" is the one to go with, since I wanna play solibody electric rather than electrified accoustics.

Tremolo setting is gonna be a b!tch? Good call!!! I wasn't even conserning about that.

Thanks again everybody!!!

Peace

sc

Comment

Working...
                  X