Listen to sounds of SD Pickups here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listen to sounds of SD Pickups here

I'm new to this fourm but I've been reading and trying to decide which PUs to put in my MIM strat. I use an Ultimate Chours Fender amp (but will be switching to a Marshal tube or a Mesa) I also record to my computer (digital)using Sonar software. I have a Korg AX1000G effects borad I plug into as well.

I don't know much about the various types and tones of the SD PUs, but since I have the Korg effects board I can achive almost any sound I want.

My probelm is the Mexican PUs are so cheap that all the sounds are very "thin" and I don't get alot of sustainability.

So my question which SD PUs should I drop in my MIM strat (all three)?

Last, click or go to the link below to hear SD PUs for a strat. AFter you get to the page, scroll down to the middle of the page, then click on the ones you want to hear and it will download as an mp3

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

Re: Listen to sounds of SD Pickups here

Sound Clips and Playing Tips. Post Your MP3 links here as well as Q/A regarding guitar playing. Recording gear questions posted here.

Clips galore!

Comment

Does anyone have any recomendations on which PUs?

Comment

OK one last try as it relates to my original post. Any recomendations for PUs in my MIM strat?

I like the 59 but I'm not sure if I should put something else with this and in what combination

Comment

I'd suggest going to the Vault section, and looking at the strat pickup reviews.

It's hard to suggest specific pickups when you haven't really said what kind of tone your looking for..
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

Hi
            I've got a Mexican Strat, upgraded to Hot Rails Bridge position, and 2 Duckbuckers Middle and neck. This gives me a good rock sound, as well as
            a cleaner quieter Strat sound. Aslo i have added a TBX tone system.
            I use Fender super 250's, 9 thou strings, tone is now awsome!!!!!!!!!!!
            Hope this helps!!!!
            Trev
            Ibanez RG1570 Dimarzio PAF Joe, MoJoe and Fast track1, Aria PE DLX (stock)

Comment

Thanks Curley and Trev. Much appreciated

Curley you make a good point (one that I obviously overlooked)

My influences are rooted in Stevie Ray, Clapton, and Hendrix but I'd also like the opprotunity to be able to shreed some sounds of the 80's & 90's rock and just a litlle smooth Jazz as well. Am I aksing for too much here? Please note I have a Korg effects board (like a POD Line 6)

Most importantly, I really want that warmth but not a "muddied sound" (if that makes sense) and I would also like to get sustainability when hitting the high notes but not have them sounding very thin or cheap.

My MIM Strat is poplar body (I think) with a maple neck and fret board.

I have kinda of been taking a liking to the lil 59 but I'm not sure if I should mix this with something else.

So based on that can anyone make some sugestions ?

Comment

OK. Here's what a rep from SD says:

Here's a fatter lineup that has a lot of variety, and will get rid of your "thin" tone:

Bridge: SJBJ-1B JB Junior for Strat
                Middle: STK-S2N Hot Stack for Strat (neck'/middle version)
                Neck: SL59-1N Little '59 for Strat (neck/middle version)

Comment

Yeah, go for it, should sound good, i have a lil 59 for the neck postion floating about somewhere!!!, toying with the idea of putting that on, with a coil tap,
                  so hopefully i will be able to get a nice fat lead sound. If you do go
                  for a lil 59 in the neck postion, let me know how it sounds and i'll stick one in mine!

Comment

Trev, did anyone ever tell u that your avatar looks like a fatter Faramir from LOTR?

Comment

No they have n't, is that a good thing or a bad thing?????????
                      Thats me by the way, in garden posing for some shots for Martial arts Illustrated.

Comment

I have a 2000 American Strat, ash body and maple neck. I first replaced the stock bridge pickup with the Duncan 5-2. It sounded pretty good, smoothing out the brightness of the ash body a little bit. But I found it to have not enough bass output for my tastes.

I then replaced it with the Quarter Pound Staggered. Much higher output in all tonal registers. I like it better. The solution was not to tame the high end, but rather to beef up the bass end. This is my main guitar for Ritchie Blackmore's Deep Purple and Rainbow sounds.

I should add that I am primarily a Les Paul player, so I like my sound to be towards the heavy humbucker side. I like that my Strat sounds heavier than a typical Strat, but not like a Strat with a humbucker in it.
                        Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

you'd have a lot more options if you got a fat strat pickguard. Just an observation
                          Originally posted by gibson175
                          metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

59 in bridge
                            ssl1 inmiddle
                            lil 59 in neck.

Comment

Originally posted by smfender
                              OK. Here's what a rep from SD says:

Here's a fatter lineup that has a lot of variety, and will get rid of your "thin" tone:

Bridge: SJBJ-1B JB Junior for Strat
                              Middle: STK-S2N Hot Stack for Strat (neck'/middle version)
                              Neck: SL59-1N Little '59 for Strat (neck/middle version)

https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                              X