What is phasing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is phasing?

Can Someone tell me what phasing is and what the sound differnce is? Also Can you please tell me what the difference is between series and parralel wiring is in sound etc. And also the ohm capacity in pots.

Cheers
    "And be grateful. Our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real." Hannibal Lecter

Re: What is phasing?

This page could be of some help...

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

A link to the VERY LIMITED (Ladies) OPETH G-String!! ..Act Now!!!:bigthumb:
    This black g-string underwear has the famous "O" logo that Opeth has been using for some time now. The logo is silk screened onto the g-string and looks very sharp in yellow against the black field. ..These are a one-size-fits-most.

Comment

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.
      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

I'll try to keep this simple:

A guitar pickup generates an AC voltage when a string vibrates above it.
        AC means that the voltage goes positive, then negative, at the frequency of the note. If you combine the output of two pickups, and they're "in-phase", it means that both voltages are going positive at the same time. If they're out-of-phase, one is going positive, while the other goes negative. These two signals would, of course, cancel each other out. But since they aren't identical, the cancellation won't be 100%, and thus you'll get a tiny bit of the signal through. The "difference" between the two p'ups, to be exact. This will be a very weak and hollow sound.

Parallel just means that the "plus" terminal of one p'up is connected to the "plus" of the other. Same for the grounds, so they operate beside, or parallel, to each other.

Series means that only one p'up is grounded, its "plus" goes to the "minus" of the other, and its "plus" goes to the output jack. So the two p'ups are in-line with each other. This just gives a different tone.

Parallel wiring is more or less "conventional" on a twin pickup guitar.

Generally, guitar pots come in two values, 250k, (250,000 ohms), for single coils, and 500k for humbuckers. Active pickups often use 25k pots.

Comment

You know, I got ready to say that he could just check under the FAQ section on the main website ... as those topics are explained there as well.I see many beat me to it though.
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Thanks
            "And be grateful. Our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real." Hannibal Lecter

Comment

what artie said

Comment

Working...
              X