Splitting low output humbuckers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting low output humbuckers?

I want to put a PGb and a APHIIn in my les paul because the sound of the 500t and 496r is starting to wear on me. but I'm not sure if that combo listed will be a good match. like when switching from neck to bridge, I dont want one or the other sacrificed. I also was curious about coil taps, will a low output humbucker sound strat like when tapped or will the output be too low? im not familiar with single coil output levels so if anyone can answer those questions, please post. and if the pg and aphII dont match which medium/low output bridge pup would match the aphIIn (besides the aphIIb) lol
    thanks

Re: Splitting low output humbuckers?

I've had the 59n in my SG split before (it's not wired for it right now) and I think it's a really nice sound... It is definately a much lower ouput, but for clean, jangly, stuff, the 59 was great. I don't know about the APH

Comment

I haven't tried any of the pickups you coment. In terms of volume I think this set it is well mached, I don't know about the tone. If the tone curve of two pickups it is very diferent the amp EQ for one pickup couldn't work for another. So each time you change the pickup you have to change the EQ. If you go for a mached set (like alnico pro bridge and neck) you won't have this problem. But may be APII/PG should be goo too.

Ussually a humbucker it isn't strat like when split. The only exception seems to be the JB. The split sound of a low output humbucker ussually it is thin and useless.

And a question for you: Do you live in Ponte Vedra, Florida? The is a town very close from mine which has the same name. Do you know where the name comes from?

Comment

alright thanks, I think the aphIIn and PGb should be a good match, both alnico II, both medium/low output. as long as the neck sounds smooth and defined I'm not complaining. and ya I live in Ponte Vedra Florida and its boring as hell. and no I dont know what it means?

Comment

I have JB/Jazz combo in my Les Paul The bridge pup has a fenderish tone to it when split but the neck split is pure 60's jangly heaven I love it! used as a full humbucker's they are a hard combo to beat
          This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
          Les Paul With JB bridge & Jazz neck - Jimmy Page Wiring
          Fenton Weill strat copy With 59 bridge & 59 Neck p/up My first Guitar
          Vox Valvetronix AD 100 VT

Comment

I have splittable voodoo 59s (a strict PAF copy, i.e. - low output, un-potted humbuckers) and I really enjoy the split coil sounds. Like Oldslowhand said above, the split coil sounds are fender-ish. They are lower output than the fender single coil, and lack the punch -- what I'm saying is that if fender single coils are a big part of your main sound, split low output humbuckers won't satisfy you completely. However, if you just want to be able to get away from that fat humbucker sound and paint with a thinner, fender-like brush, this mod is for you. I've found these sounds to be very usable, and the flexibility they add to my Les Paul to be essential. Until I did this mod, my Les Paul was never able to be my clear #1 ( I'd always needed two or more guitars to cover my needs). Now my Les Paul is flexible enough that I hardly ever pick up one of my other guitars. YMMV!

Comment

Working...
            X