banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know this has been asked before, but can anyone tell me about SD Black Backs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know this has been asked before, but can anyone tell me about SD Black Backs?

Ok... I am in love with the Parker Fly I tried out. I loved in particular the Parker Fly Deluxe because the tone woods seemed to bring out the coil split tones better. I know Ed Roman sells the SD Black Back pickups modded to fit the Parker Fly.

Can anyone tell me what they sound like? If they have killer humbucker AND single coil sounds? If so, what kind of woods would go best for them? Parker sells their Fly guitars with different woods and while I kinda liked the poplar body with basswood neck, I want to make sure it'll work out ok with these pups. Thanks
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: I know this has been asked before, but can anyone tell me about SD Black Backs?

Aren't they just one of the Custom Model humbucking pickups? I'm not sure which Custom they are though, sorry.

Comment

Re: I know this has been asked before, but can anyone tell me about SD Black Backs?

Yeah, I'm not sure what the exact story of them is (hence the post).

Thanks for the reply and welcome to the forums (I'm the one that's the Super Toneologist... and you're new and you're schooling me, something ain't right here )

I heard it's the CC/59 basically, but I'm not sure. Why can't Seymour just get it over with and say it on the website? They're OEM products that's only licensed to Ed Roman, so how can it hurt to hear what they're similar to (after all, we have to have some idea of the sound before purchasing)?

I'm especially interested in the Black Backs split coil sounds. I think I've almost found "the guitar" for me so this is getting me excited
      Last edited by That90'sGuy; 06-29-2004, 02:25 AM.
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.

Comment

from what i understand, ed roman had duncan copy the pickups in the ernie ball music man van halen guitar. they are dimarzio's that are only available as original equipment on that guitar. ed's guitar is basswood with a maple cap and a maple neck. so that's the wood combination they were designed to work with. i have also heard that you shouldn't install single coils between them. i used to have an ebmm vh and loved the the pickups in it. from what i remember they were really clear and articulate, very crunchy without being muddy, and midrange strong, but not overkill. they were some of my favorite pickups i have ever played. i have also heard that ed roman is shady. i hope that helps a little. -kevin
        "in this day & age...music performed by humans...hum!?" - wilde silas tomkyn

Comment

I called up the place today and their pickups sound decent enough to try out. I did read a review on Harmony-Central that said it made all the difference in the Fly Deluxe. Coil-split, they said it does convincing strat/tele like tones. Sounds interesting anyhow I may just have to take the plunge. This guitar looks sweet, but I'd have to see if I can knock the price to $2000.

Comment

Working...
          X