No announcement yet.

Pickups for Les Paul Custom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow, thanks for all of the input, gents. i'll try to find a C5-loaded LP to test drive, though i think at this point i'm leaning toward 59n, PGb. the clips of the C5 sound a little dark for my taste.

Comment

I think with the Ebony fretboard the C5 will serve you well. Check it out, it's not dark.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Seth!
        "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

C5/PGn I think is the SD version of the 498T/490R. That said, they are different. 498T has a mid spike that C5 misses (and that is a good thing believe me). And 490R which is not a bad pickup at all does not have the uppermids of the Pgn which helps to cut through. Don't get me wrong, PGn is a smooth PAF neck pickup, but has that extra uppermids that makes it perfect among the wax-potted PAF clones. One thing tho, PGn,s are generally very cool, like 7.40 and lower, whereas 490R's are around 8.00K. That is why I use cool PGb's in the neck.

I am with GJ on this one tho. I am inclined to try for all mahogany guitars (I know the ebony fretboard adds some highs but still) A5's first. That is either a 59 set or a C5/59 set. If you would have to have a maple cap, my recommendation would change. Then the clear winner among the wax-potted pickups is a set of PG!

B
          Last edited by dr.barlo; 03-24-2004, 06:39 AM.
          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Working...
          X