No announcement yet.

How hard is it to kill a pickup switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard is it to kill a pickup switch?

one of my buddies was doing electric work on his guitar and he said he hears buzzing when he takes his fingers off the strings(ground problem) he said hes positive the pots are ok and wanted to know how easy it is to kill a pickup switch with heat.

What kind of switch? The inline plastic import switches do not take well to overheating. The switchcraft switches used in MIA Fenders and Gibsons are much sturdier.

I just worked on a LP Studio that had a hground hum like the one you describe and the pots speced out just fine and worked perfectly, except the one doing all the humming. Unless he baked an inline import switch it is more likely a bad pot.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

thats exactly what i thought, its one of those sturdy 3 way lp style switchcrafts i think, i'll just ask him for 10 bucks and tell him i'll fix it and i'll put some different pots in it, i bet it'll fix it thanks

Comment

Connect an ohm meter across the bridge and the output jack and confirm zero ohms.

It could still be the switch. I would wire around the individual components to find out if it is the switch or the pots, but I'm guessing it is a pot. The switchcraft switches have steel parts and a good insulator but they can still go bad.

Tracking down a ground issue is a pain, but it can be done if you are methodical.
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

He may not have done anything wrong. I have the same problem with my Predator, and I know I did a good soldering/grounding job.

The problem is much more pronounced, the closer I am to the computer. (Nod, nod, wink, wink.)

Coils and high-speed digital just don't play nice together. Ever try to listen to AM talk radio near a computer monitor.

ARtie

Comment

I have exactly the same kind of problem with my LP studio and I start to get bored of it. I have changed ALL the pots and the hum is still there when I take off my hands from the strings. I have checked all that can be checked with an ohmmeter. I simply don't understand what happens.
            Now I have given up the search and just take my hands on the strings when I'm not playing. What else could I do?!

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
              Coils and high-speed digital just don't play nice together. Ever try to listen to AM talk radio near a computer monitor.

ARtie
              I'm not sure it's as much the high speed digital as it is the CRT in the monitor shooting EMI everywhere. I've heard of lots of people getting the thin LCD screens to cut down on the hum when recording on computer.

Not that important to the subject, but just a little FYI.

Comment

It is normal for the guitar to buzz when you take ur hand of the strings, I think your grounding the guitar when you touch the strings.

Comment

Originally posted by DUD
                  It is normal for the guitar to buzz when you take ur hand of the strings, I think your grounding the guitar when you touch the strings.
                  it is NOT normal if you guitar buzzs when you take your fingers off the strings

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDirt
                    it is NOT normal if you guitar buzzs when you take your fingers off the strings
                    Really? All my guitars make more noise when I take my hands off the strings - so have any other guitars I've borrowed and played at home. But I live right by a radio mast, have a PC in my room, and a dimmer switch on the light (this adds a fair amount of noise when I turn the light down). As far as I can see, everything seems to be earthed OK.

Funny, but the problem isn't always there if I play elsewhere. Maybe external things come into play? I suspect the leads connecting the head to the cab on my amp are sh!t, so maybe this problem isn't necessarily to do with the guitar? I heard cheap mains adapters on effects pedals don't help either.

Comment

Originally posted by southadc
                      Really? All my guitars make more noise when I take my hands off the strings - so have any other guitars I've borrowed and played at home. But I live right by a radio mast, have a PC in my room, and a dimmer switch on the light (this adds a fair amount of noise when I turn the light down). As far as I can see, everything seems to be earthed OK.

Funny, but the problem isn't always there if I play elsewhere. Maybe external things come into play? I suspect the leads connecting the head to the cab on my amp are sh!t, so maybe this problem isn't necessarily to do with the guitar? I heard cheap mains adapters on effects pedals don't help either.
                      radio interference of anykind do that kinda stuff... but if there isnt radio interference around you there shouldnt be extra hum when you take your hand off the strings

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDirt
                        radio interference of anykind do that kinda stuff... but if there isnt radio interference around you there shouldnt be extra hum when you take your hand off the strings
                        Cool...I have to admit, the noise I get does my head in sometimes! I was pretty sure it was down to radio noise. All I have to do now now is shield my home with copper shielding foil and earth it and everything should be OK

Comment

Working...
                        X