No announcement yet.

Quarter Pounder in my P-Bass is noisy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarter Pounder in my P-Bass is noisy?

Hello,

First post here. Nice to meet yall.

I just installed a SD QP pup in my P Bass and I went entirely by the schematic and I have a hum when I turn up the tone knob. The noise completely quits when I touch the volume or tone knob. To make sure everything was wired correctly, I redid all the contacts and I have the same problem.

Any advice?

Welcome to the SD Forum fellow Michigan dude.

Connect an ohm meter to the bridge and the output jack sleeve. Zero ohms and your string ground is good.

Checking for a bad pot is a little harder. Disconnect the output jack from your guitars electronics completely. Connect the bridge ground, pickup ground and pickup hot lead directly to the output jack. If the problem disappears, replace the pots.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
      Welcome to the SD Forum fellow Michigan dude.

Connect an ohm meter to the bridge and the output jack sleeve. Zero ohms and your string ground is good.

Checking for a bad pot is a little harder. Disconnect the output jack from your guitars electronics completely. Connect the bridge ground, pickup ground and pickup hot lead directly to the output jack. If the problem disappears, replace the pots.

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. Actually when I redid all my connection points I took off the bridge and put the ground in a new spot to make sure its making good contact. This bass is a Squier that Im converting into a better bass so I bought and put in new pots. Maybe these are just noisy? Is that possible?

Comment

Sure is, but check the string ground continuity anyways. Once you are sure of what it isn't, you'll have a better idea of what the problem is.

Where In Michigan?
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
          Sure is, but check the string ground continuity anyways. Once you are sure of what it isn't, you'll have a better idea of what the problem is.

Where In Michigan?

I'll give it a try and see what the prob is. My brother has an ohm meter.

I live in Marysville. About an hour north of Detroit.

Comment

Working...
          X