X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bad Trader Alert

Originally posted by B2D View Post
    I have to report a sale gone wrong. This concerns a Telecaster neck I bought from Dominus. The neck turned out to be defective, and after sending the neck back, I have not been able to contact him or recover any money from him. Here’s the timeline:

2/25/2016 – Dominus places a thread in the Trading Posts advertising some Strat and Tele necks for sale. You can see the thread here: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...-Fretboards%29

3/6/2016 – I agree to buy a Telecaster neck from Dominus, and pay via PayPal on 3/7/2016.

3/7/2016 – I receive shipping information from Dominus.

3/10/2016 – I receive the neck in the mail. I give it a quick look-over for any shipping damage, and then return it to the box. I let Dominus know I’ve received the package.

3/26/2016 – I begin the installation process of the neck, and after a closer inspection of the neck, I notice that the fret slots are out of alignment. I have my local trusted tech/luthier examine the neck, and he confirms that the frets slots are indeed out of alignment and that the neck is unusable. I contact Dominus via PM on the SGUGF and tell him what I’ve found, and send pictures detailing the issue.

3/27/2016 – I receive a reply from Dominus, saying “Wow, I'm going to have to check the rest of them, I'll let you know. Might take me a little bit, I've got a problem with depth perception so they could look fine to me, I'll have my assistant over later this week to help me.” I request a refund or a replacement neck that does not have this problem.

4/1/2016 – I send a PM to Dominus asking about the status of the other necks, he and his assistant at work have not had time to look them over – I’m told it will be a few more days.

4/5/2016 – I send a PM asking Dominus if he has an update.

4/7/2016 – I receive the following reply: “She hasn't come by yet. (Yes, I'm starting to get a little annoyed.) She has another job where she was working in the evenings earlier this week, then took today off for her birthday, tomorrow is prom, she has plans this weekend...”

4/14/2016 – Via PM, I request a full refund from Dominus and request his permission to send the neck back. It’s been a little under two weeks since I discovered the issue and nothing has really happened aside from PMs going back and forth.

4/16/2016 – I receive the following message from Dominus: “Hey, go ahead and send it back, I should have had you do that anyway, as you couldn't use it. Just wasn't thinking clearly, been really stressed lately. What I can probably do is see how that one is off and compare it to a completely different neck by lining them up on top of each other and then see if the other necks in that batch are the same.”

Sometime between 4/23 and 4/27, I ship the neck back to the return address. I had gotten sick and hadn’t sent the package out sooner, but at any rate I do not hear from Dominus confirming the receipt of the package. Tracking information says it did arrive, so I PM him to inquire about the status…

5/1/2016 – Dominus confirms via PM on the SDUGF that he had received the package containing the Telecaster guitar neck. He says: “Hey, got it in, just haven't had a chance to open it, been super busy with family and business stuff. Today's the first time I got a chance to get on here and let you know.”

5/5/2016 - I requested, via PM, a complete refund for the $60.00 I paid for the neck.

***His last recorded Forum Activity took place on 5/7/2016, according to the member registry. I have not received any form of response from him since then.

5/16/2016 – I look up his personal email in the forum registry and send him an email, among other things, identifying myself and requesting a refund. I gave him until the evening of 5/19/2016 to take action before I went public with the matter and requested a refund via PayPal of the original transaction.

I don’t know whether his lack of communication since 5/5/16 has been the result of a family event, personal illness, some sort of other issue, but we’re only talking about $60 here. How hard would it have been to just refund the money when the product arrived back? Or just send me a message or let me know somehow that there’d been delays? I hope he’s OK… either way I’m highly annoyed. Almost two months has gone by since I first reported the issue.

I’m also surprised this happened with Dominus, who’s been on here a long time and whom I thought had a fairly good reputation.

In the meantime I’m out $60 plus return shipping on a bum Tele neck. You get what you pay for I guess. Next time I’ll just go with Warmoth.
    That's almost two weeks... I'm kinda wondering if Dominus himself is OK.
    Nope...

Comment

Agreed.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

I really do hope he's OK. I wouldn't wish misfortune on anyone, especially not over a guitar neck.

But I stand by my statement. After 6 weeks of back-and-forth, my patience had expired and I cut to the chase and asked for a refund, and 2 days later he dropped off radar.

Comment

Looks like Dominus logged in 6/1/2016, didn't post, and logged out. ;(

Comment

Wow this truly sucks. I as well hope the man is ok but he should in good faith and business relations refund your money. I wonder if this was the case with all the neck sold and you aren't the only one out 60 bucks on a bum neck?

Comment

That stinks..sorry to hear...
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by loversmoon View Post
                I wonder if this was the case with all the necks sold and you aren't the only one out 60 bucks on a bum neck?
                Hmmm....makes one wonder!

Comment

if someone could steer me in the right direction here, I'd appreciate it.

is this thread only for deals that happen within the Trading Post? I mean, what if it's between two SDUGF members (and the items are SD products)?

I'm asking because as I start to share the experience with people, I'm hearing else where other SDUGF members knew about this seller from their experiences. would having something about such non-Trading Post deals between SDUGF members still be of benefit to people in their decisions before entering into deals?

Comment

I'd say share what ya got and let forum members use the info as they see fit

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                      Agreed.
                      Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post

Thanks for the feedback

Although I've been more than fair and patient, I'll allow for an email attempt in the event there may have been some issues with the person's phone.

Even with that, there is no denying it would have warranted a negative feedback on ebay or reverb by most any buyer.

Comment

sounds like BS about the necks, waiting for their "assistant" to come in to check the necks? Hey, maybe his vision is that bad, I am in that boat, but that all just sounds funky. I'd be extremely skeptical of a neck for $60.... to be honest, I find reverb to be much safer and with more accountability and there is not much in this forum that you cant find on reverb at some point
                          Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
                          Ibanez RG1570 Custom
                          PRS McCarty STD
                          '71 Gibson SG Custom
                          Bogner Alchemist 2x12
                          Vox AD15VT

Comment

Originally posted by BluesGuyJ View Post
                            sounds like BS about the necks, waiting for their "assistant" to come in to check the necks? Hey, maybe his vision is that bad, I am in that boat, but that all just sounds funky. I'd be extremely skeptical of a neck for $60.... to be honest, I find reverb to be much safer and with more accountability and there is not much in this forum that you cant find on reverb at some point
                            At the outset I was willing to be patient, understanding, assuming positive intent, but it became clear pretty rapidly it was just stall tactics.

Given that he was an established forum member with some history, I didn't have reason to be skeptical about a cheap neck. I just needed something that worked on a basic level for a guitar, and the product he gave me was straight out defective. I've never seen that on a guitar or a stand-alone neck. Basic QC would've caught that.

He's on my list until he can earn his way off it.
                            Last edited by B2D; 01-08-2020, 04:15 AM.

Comment

That's crazy, I've done a bunch of trades and stuff with Dom and never had any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                                That's crazy, I've done a bunch of trades and stuff with Dom and never had any issues.
                                Me too, he's always been straight up with me - I've bought and exchanged pickups with him a few times and this comes as a bit of a shock, as I'm sure it did to you B2D!
                                The Artiste formally known as IndySG...

Comment

Working...
                                X