WTB BBE Stinger pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB BBE Stinger pedal

Or any BBE pedal style sonic maximizer. I think the Stinger is the only one but I heard there may be others out there.

Thanks
    1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
    1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
    2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
    Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Re: WTB BBE Stinger pedal

Have you ever used one? I have one on my board and am not quite sure what to think of it. What are you looking for from it?
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
    My Music

Comment

I've never used one in my rig, but my buddy has a similar (but rack mounted) rig and uses a rack sonic maximizer in his and I heard the difference with and w/out the BBE and I was very impressed. I'm not setup in a rack but I've heard the Stinger pedal was the same idea but in a pedal form. What I heard from my friends BBE is hard to describe... just better tone. It sounded clearer. It almost sounded like it separated the bass from the treble... less muddy? The thing is is that his non-BBE tone was incredible and the BBE just made it better.

I take it you haven't noticed the same "drastic" differences with the Stinger pedal?
      Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
      Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Comment

I have a Boss EH-2 Enhancer Pedal which, to my ears, performs a very similar function to a Sonic Maximizer. It's great for live work and even makes SS amps sound a little better.

Check it out... http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/eh2.xml You can usually find a few of them on eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by sooperunkn
          The thing is is that his non-BBE tone was incredible and the BBE just made it better.

I take it you haven't noticed the same "drastic" differences with the Stinger pedal?
          I have it dialed in fairly flat as the last pedal in the loop. IMO it gives some "sparkle" to chords under high gain but that's about it. In my rig (Rivera Rake), if I turn the lows up things sound tubby and the tone gets shrill when I turn up the highs.

The reason I keep the thing around is it's great when I want that 80's "rack of doom" tone from my relatively straightforward setup. Though I have a respectable pedalboard, my tone is most often just guitar/amp/speakers with some occasional overdrive from my HAO Rumble mod.

My feelings about the Stinger might also be influenced by the way I tend to dial in lots of mids. Since the Stinger is more about boosting high & lows, it probably doesn't appeal to my ear the way it does to others'.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
          My Music

Comment

That totally makes sense about the mids. Also explains the Rivera and Soldano!!!!! My ideal tone is a little less "mid" oriented but not entirely scooped either.

So I take it you're not selling it? Either way, thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
            X