WTB: Chrome EMG 81

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB: Chrome EMG 81

Hi! I'm looking for a chrome-covered EMG 81. Should be from 2017 or earlier. Doesn't have to be pristine, but preferably decent-looking, LOL. Please be aware it should be shipped here to Mexico.

Bump!

Comment

Bump!

Comment

Are you in the U.S.? You can get a "blem" directly from EMG, probably in as good of condition as any "used" pickup, for $60 shipped: https://reverb.com/item/34037027-emg...umbucker-blems

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm not in the US.

Those are recent production pickups too, are they not? I posted a thread some time ago about EMG changing something within their preamp. Not sure what's up, but IME, new EMG's sound terrible through my rig while pre-2017 sound fine.

Comment

I remember the thread. It wasn't based on much concrete evidence, other than Frank confirming that the preamp (i.e. op-amp chip) did appear to change slightly sometime in recent history. We know that EOL for the original EMG op-amp occurred in late 2018, so it's unlikely that EMG stopped using them anytime before 2019 or even 2020 depending on how much stock they had on hand when the chip was discontinued.

Also, I don't recall you comparing newer vs older 81 models, only 57/66, etc.

Comment

One more thought...you could reach out to EMG at the link I provided. They might be able to ship to you and they may even have a slightly older one available. Worth asking, if nothing else

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                Also, I don't recall you comparing newer vs older 81 models, only 57/66, etc.
                I also had a newer 85 that sounded strange. And I know there wasn't much evidence, but better to play it safe.

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                One more thought...you could reach out to EMG at the link I provided. They might be able to ship to you and they may even have a slightly older one available. Worth asking, if nothing else
                Good idea! Thanks!

Comment

Yeah, that fell through. They won't ship to Mexico. The did tell me those pickups are 2019-2020 production, though.

Comment

Bump! Anyone? Pretty please!

Comment

Working...
                    X