• scottish
    replied
    Re: Guest Luthier Series Feature's Hamer's Jol Dantzig

newking you lucky bastard!!

Leave a comment:

• BloodRose
    replied

New king, You must report how the set up turned out!!!

Leave a comment:

• Ayrton
    replied

Originally posted by ex-250 View Post
    alright, so which one of you kids won the setup & pickups? haha. or was that not picked yet?
    Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post

Newking70 won the contest. PM sent.

Leave a comment:

• Gearjoneser
    replied

No, come back! List your amp collection! LOL

Leave a comment:

• ex-250
    replied

alright, so which one of you kids won the setup & pickups? haha. or was that not picked yet?

Leave a comment:

• Wattage
    replied

That was great thanks Jol
    Last edited by Wattage; 09-10-2009, 06:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• scottish
    replied

just incase you check this again...thank you so much for taking time out of your day to be here. its a great testament to your character and it was plain awesome for us.

thanks again

Leave a comment:

• BTMN
    replied

Life IS Good!

Leave a comment:

• Jol Dantzig
    replied

Hey guys, it has been lots of fun, but I've got to go home!

Thanks for your interest, and thank you Evan for the opportunity to share with your forum, what a great bunch of people!

If you want to see more behind the scenes, and historical archives, become a fan on Facebook

or go to our Workshop Blog

Goodnight, and keep rockin'.

Jol

Leave a comment:

• báratta
    replied

Thanks for sharing your time with us, Jol. I know you've probably moved on to real work (or home time), though I was wondering if you've considered doing a Tally with a swamp ash body?

Leave a comment:

• BloodRose
    replied
    Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series Feature's Hamer's Jol Dantzig

Originally posted by Jol Dantzig View Post
    Once again Keeper, I love all those old designs... they were a lot of fun to do. I think the Washburn resemblance thing is a little overblown. A lot of guitar designs back then were all coming from the same philosophy and background as we were all making strats with humbuckers and trems. There was a lot of cross-pollenization that just came from us all being about the same age and making guitars for the same market. Kinda when all the bands of an era sound similar., so I wouldn't say anybody at Washburn ripped anybody off. I actually went to high school with Greg Bennett and Dean Zelinsky was a roadie for my band, so we all were coming from a similar place. As for making the Cali again... we'll see. We have an import model, and it's not very popular. Our shop rate is at a point that any guitar we build starts at around $4000, so if there's a reason to build $5-7000 Calis, you never know.

Ill buy one of the Import Calis! I just havent Yet because I cant play one first and Im leary of the imports based on experience with some in the past.
    I think that is the only reason they arent more popular.. Only on ebay.. People need to see them to lust for them!!.

Leave a comment:

• Evan Skopp
    replied

Jol just called me and said, "Can I go home now?" And I said yes.

Thanks again Jol. You really outdid yourself.

Leave a comment:

• Jol Dantzig
    replied

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    Hi Jol

A couple of years ago, I bought a Studio Custom (shipped from a USA music store down here to Australia). I believe it had a pair of SD 59 pickups, but at the time i was reading everything i could about Hamer, and i got the impression that the pickups were slightly 'tweaked' for use in your guitars. I asked the question here and the most of the replies seemed to indicate that the pickups were not tweaked versions but the stock version any of us would get if we went to the store and bought SD 59 pickups.

So....is it possible for you to clarify the matter?

much thanks either way, this has been a very informative thread that ii know is very much appreciated by all the members.

P.S. Ever do anything with Les Paul (the man)?
    There are a few pickups over the years that we've tweaked with Dimarzio and others, but with Seymour its been easy to find what I want because of the range of pickups that are available. Occasionally we'll specify something or work on a project like the Double D, or Phat Cat to get exactly what we need.

I got to spend some time with Les Paul at his home years ago. The guy was a first-class joker and an amazing musician. His thing was to try to see how much BS he could get away with on you until you had the balls to call him on it. Then he'd just laugh and start all over again. If you fell for the Les Paul Legend stuff, he'd snow you under.

Leave a comment:

• Jol Dantzig
    replied
    Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series Feature's Hamer's Jol Dantzig

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
    I know you answered some Cheap Trick questions earlier but with all the guitars you have built for them over the years do you have a favorite?

I remember Johnny Ramone using a Sunburst for a while and even had an ad with Johnny playing one, any good stories about him?

Oh yeah here is my partner in crime with his 80's Custom Shop Hamer, it is still great guitar!

Nice photo! Love the FB.

The checkerboard one is a standout for me... it's an iconic guitar now. But this one is close to perfection in another way:

The Ramones guitar:

Here's a story about Johnny Ramone's guitar. When we were building it, Johnny's main concern was that it be as light as possible. So to do that, we picked out light wood, I made an aluminum bridge instead of brass, and I gutted the neck pickup to reduce weight because Johnny never used the neck pickup. I went to a show when they played Northwestern University's student union! and stood with Johnny on stage during the sound check. He insisted that I play his guitar in order to hear what he was hearing onstage. I knew their songs, so I launched into Blitzkreig Bop and the band just went with me. One of the most surreal experiences of my life... playing with the Ramones while Johnny watched and smiled. The guy was a prince...

Leave a comment:

• crusty philtrum
    replied

Hi Jol

A couple of years ago, I bought a Studio Custom (shipped from a USA music store down here to Australia). I believe it had a pair of SD 59 pickups, but at the time i was reading everything i could about Hamer, and i got the impression that the pickups were slightly 'tweaked' for use in your guitars. I asked the question here and the most of the replies seemed to indicate that the pickups were not tweaked versions but the stock version any of us would get if we went to the store and bought SD 59 pickups.

So....is it possible for you to clarify the matter?

much thanks either way, this has been a very informative thread that ii know is very much appreciated by all the members.

P.S. Ever do anything with Les Paul (the man)?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X